Bad karma? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2010   #1

Bad karma?

So maybe the game has changed? But I was always of the school that if you find gear and you know the owner of the gear you return it. Or if someone has found my gear and returned it I at least toss some beers in their direction as a thank you.

Last season I lost a Werner Shogun paddle on the West Fork of Clear Creek. Someone found it and contacted me to say that they had found it. I said I would toss him some cash as a thank you. I never heard back from him.

Then just today while training new guides on Clear Creek above Idaho Springs we witnessed a boat floating downstream. We chased down the boat (Jackson Fun) and a pelican case (containing an expensive camera and cell phone) and some foam and float bags. We then drove upstream, found the boaters who lost the gear, drove them back to their shuttle at Lawson (they had both swam and lost their paddles), told them we'd let them know if we found their paddles, and suggested they might bring by some beers for the effort. Nothing.

rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It happns. I found a hurricane yaking the lower Gros Ventre in Wyoming years ago. I knew a local boater and through him I was able to get the boat back to it's owner. No beers, no thanks what so ever. He acted like I burdened him by extracting his boat out of a nasty pin. Oh well, I slept fine that night.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #3

Pingree, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Don't you suppose it lessens the effect of the Karma (at least a little) when you "expect" the beers and thank yous?
wildraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010   #4

Summit County, and Idaho
Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "You owe me." Look what happens with a love like that. It lights the whole world~ Hafiz

Keep in mind that the world is full of dirty, rotten, scoundrels! But that shouldn't stop you from doing your part in making it a better place. You don't give to get, you give for the simple act of giving

Sooner or later, everything catches up to everyone.

For the record, you would get cold beer from me!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
My dad brought me up on good river karma, and I believe that if you do something like steal someone's gear then you will have a nasty pin or swim or something on the river. however, when you return gear and they don't give you beer, I'd say it would have been nice if they did but I don't think that they will get bad karma, you will just get good karma.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #6
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildraft1 View Post
Don't you suppose it lessens the effect of the Karma (at least a little) when you "expect" the beers and thank yous?
How rude of someone to actually EXPECT someone to say thank you when you waste your time saving their gear...

Rasta... gotta realize there are just unfortunately a large percentage of worthless people on this planet that don't deserve kindness. Fortunately for them, some of us just don't want to let that keep us from doing what is the right thing despite that.
Old 06-04-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingup View Post

Keep in mind that the world is full of dirty, rotten, scoundrels! But that shouldn't stop you from doing your part in making it a better place. You don't give to get, you give for the simple act of giving
Agreed. And if I found their paddles I would still make the effort to get them back to their rightful owners. But it sure would be nice to sip on a cold one. Honestly, I'm a little more ticked at the jackass that didn't return my paddle last year. But it's all water under the bridge, eh? Just venting and hoping that the larger paddling community (that I'm not that tight with anymore) is still filled with goodness like I remember. Paddle on......

p.s. I don't really believe in karma anyways.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #8

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I was leaving BTO last year at like 10pm and a bag full of all gear had been setting there since I drove up round 3-4pm. I packed it home posted and the guy came by said thanks and left...Not a whats your name, handshake, or anything. I've never lost any gear yet but say your beer and I'll bring it if I do and you save it!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #9
foy

I just had a Jackson Fun and all my gear stolen in Vail at the Teva Mtn Games. Was the Fun Orange, with one of the float bags a combination dry bag float bag (yellow). I am hoping whoever stole my boat and gear is receiving there Karma??
foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #10

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Hate to say it but I have to. What all this boils down to is piss poor parenting skills. People are being raised with out being taught manners or morals. Through out all my years (few to some, many to others) I have always shown good ole Southern Hospitality in situations like this. Yet I have rarely received it in return. Seems that people who posses kindness more than greed are a dying breed.

Rest assured, if I lose my [email protected] and you return it. Neither of us will walk away empty handed.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote