Avalanche Creek near Redstone - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2007   #1

Avalanche Creek near Redstone

I was in Redstone last week and I hiked up Avalanche Creek. Has anyone ever ran this? Its pretty good size. From the campground down there is on really long steep cascade type rapid that looked to be free of wood. I found the below pick online. There are about 5 other photos of the same gorge on this website. I think the gorge is above the campground. Even if you were not going to run the creek, I would recommend the hike. Its beautiful up there. Very lush.

On a side note, after the long hike we were going to go to penny hot springs and hang out. This has got to be one of the most picturesque places in the state. When we got down to the river and went to get in, we noticed there was a used maxipad floating in the rocked off area. Sweet!

http://americathebeautifulphotos.com...he_creek_5.jpg

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i dont know man. looks waaaay good. i asked the same question last summer and all of the "humble class V kayakers" didnt seem to want to spill the beans. it totally goes, ive heard rumors of hair boaters making it happen in the late 80's, but again, until you can try to crack some info from the boaters on this site (good luck), then its pretty much a crapshoot.

there is one gorge that definitely goes, it is steep but manageable drop to drop that ends in a sliding/falls thing. that section looks good for sure, but the whole creek has potential.

i dont know who this jabronie is, but you can see a section of the gorge in the background:
http://image34.webshots.com/35/4/21/...tions/FullSize
Old 07-11-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
i've looked at that too and wondered if it had been run,probably has,if not why?

Hey Lagoonia did you ever get on Geneva?I scouted out the part you were talking about pretty thoroughly ,it got high enough to run this year. If it was cleaned a bit theres a hair section and another short 4/4+ section a n entry level creeker could lap.Who knows when the water will be high enough again.If we get agood snow pack I will try to clean up the 4/4+ section just n case.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #4

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Woody McWoodsalot
bailito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah....not as much as you'd think, actually....

i know the stretch from the end of the access road to the crystal has been run many many times, the kids from cmc used to do that when i went there, like i said, ive heard unsubstantiated rumours about hair boaters running it back in the late 80s, early 90s, but theres been no confirmation on it. im willing to hike up and help clean/video a descent next spring if anyone else wants to

Tags
avalanche