Avalanche Creek---in - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2008   #1
No seas pendejo

Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Avalanche Creek---in

I drove up Avalanche Creek today and noticed it had some great rapids and lines in that little creek. Does this get run often or even at all? I did not notice much wood or strainers, but did see some potential pin places and such. Did anyone hit it earlier this year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
dude, ive asked around about this a few different times, and no one seems to be forthcoming. given the location and potential of the creek, i would have to believe SOMEONE has done it. there is a lot of gradient, but theres also mini gorges and clean bedrock throughout......

another thing that leads me to believe its being kept hidden: look in the maps section of WSR.....peruse the maps, and you'll notice the only bodies of water that are named or identified are those that have runs on them.....yet, if you look at the Crystal/Roaring Fork map, Avalanche Creek is CLEARLY marked, with no run on it at all. theres no other river or creek in the book like it. typo? perhaps? hidden gem? perhaps.....
Old 08-11-2008   #3
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
from what I understand, the lower section is manky, not super worth it, and the upper has not been explored.... yet, we are planning on hiking in and scouting in a week or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
dude, ive asked around about this a few different times, and no one seems to be forthcoming. given the location and potential of the creek, i would have to believe SOMEONE has done it. there is a lot of gradient, but theres also mini gorges and clean bedrock throughout......

another thing that leads me to believe its being kept hidden: look in the maps section of WSR.....peruse the maps, and you'll notice the only bodies of water that are named or identified are those that have runs on them.....yet, if you look at the Crystal/Roaring Fork map, Avalanche Creek is CLEARLY marked, with no run on it at all. theres no other river or creek in the book like it. typo? perhaps? hidden gem? perhaps.....
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008   #4
God Amongst Men

we hiked way up it one time a few years back, the gradient is just stacked, its nearly continuous rocky mountain boulder mank, but i do remember there being a mini gorge or two, or at least sections where the gradient increases, but the bedrock appears creating mini falls and ledges.....let us know whatcha find, ive always wanted to go hiking up there again. regardless if you have a boat or not, it is still an amazingly beautiful place to be.
Old 08-12-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
what are you waiting for how far from gore?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #6
God Amongst Men

coupla hours....131 to I-70 and then 82 to 133......easy

Tags
avalanche