Attaching D -Rings--flat or inflated - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2008   #1

Attaching D -Rings--flat or inflated

When attaching D-rings, is it absolutely necessary to glue them on when the boat is inflated? I was told this buy a guy who does a lot of repair. BUT--I would think that attaching something like that when the raft is inflated would make it much more difficult to really press down hard enough with the rasp or other blunt tool to get the good bond you need.
Looking for info from folks who've attached them while the boat was flat--was this ever an issue for their longevity?
Thanks in advance.

rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Inflated

I've put them on inflated. No problems getting pressure on it, just lots of work. If you do it flat, you may get puckering on the boat fabric underneath. You shouldn't, but it can happen.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have found that putting D-ring should be done with the boat inflated! There is no chance of putting them in the wrong place and it is easier to get around a inflated boat.
bbbstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #4

Definitely inflated but I do it a little soft , I tried unflated and dealt with stretch factor and those pucker marks mentioned previously! all my boats are was hypalon so if you have PVC I would probably make sure it was inflated well!
I have put about 8 on my shredder this year and all are doing great! footcups I tend to do De-flated
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Maybe PVC has less stretch. I put on a bunch of dees (like, 40) for lightweight rigging on Pack Cats. I inflated the tubes and rigged them to mark the spots, then glued them flat. Hard to do a good job rolling the bubbles out on an inflated tube. So far they've been right and tight.

a) If you use the same fabric as what's on your boat to make the strips and patches, it should stretch at exactly the same rate. If you do a good job with the glue, no problem inflated.

b) If your boat is (like most) deflated most of the time, then putting patches on an inflated tube (tube stretched, dee-ring patch not) creates stress when the thing is flat. And that's when your dee-ring patches will separate.

c) Most of the shit with this kind of job is bad glue or poor gluing technique.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #6

SE, Wyoming
d) How many boats are put together with air inside?
Old 06-08-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Maybe PVC has less stretch. I put on a bunch of dees (like, 40) for lightweight rigging on Pack Cats. I inflated the tubes and rigged them to mark the spots, then glued them flat. Hard to do a good job rolling the bubbles out on an inflated tube. So far they've been right and tight.

a) If you use the same fabric as what's on your boat to make the strips and patches, it should stretch at exactly the same rate. If you do a good job with the glue, no problem inflated.

b) If your boat is (like most) deflated most of the time, then putting patches on an inflated tube (tube stretched, dee-ring patch not) creates stress when the thing is flat. And that's when your dee-ring patches will separate.

c) Most of the shit with this kind of job is bad glue or poor gluing technique.

yrs, Chip
I totally agree with Chip on all points.
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #8

SE, Wyoming
John Wayne?

Always thought of John Wayne as my enemy.

But now we agree.

Maybe a bad sign.