At what level does the Salt get really difficult or class 5? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-01-2010   #1

Jenks, Oklahoma
At what level does the Salt get really difficult or class 5?

Been down the Salt at levels from 600 cfs to 2000 cfs and enjoyed em all.

Any of you rafters with Salt experience in the 3, 4, or 5000 cfs range? Just wondering what CFS is when the class 3 become class 4 and class 4 becomes class 5.

or does it smooth out or develop big time holes

thanks for any feedback

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
All I've heard is that it becomes pretty intense above 3500, but I would like to hear if anyone else has some more detailed info on it. I'm supposed to be going on a trip beginning april 7, but it's risen from 2000 to 3000 in the last couple days. Getting a little nervous.
Mark the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #3

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
We did it earlier this month(march) and were lucky enough to have it bump up to 7k at the beginning of the trip. Not sure what it was running when we got off. It definitely dropped.

The first day was a blast(at 7K),I'd call it III+....maybe IV-? Nowhere near class V. I remember Ledges rapid had some pretty big waves(flippers) mixed in. Though it was all easily avoidable.It was fun read and run. Not sure what it was running when we got to Eye of the Needle,Blackrock,Quartzite so i can't comment,for sure. Though Quartzite was fun. Stout but fun....down the left for us....definitely a IV
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
BD, if you give your launch date, one can look at the graph and figure out what your flow was over the next few days. Maybe mention which day # or date you might have been at the bigger drops.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Thanks,yeah I know but I can never seem to find that info. I believe it was 7k when we put on and ended up with 1700. A few of the other guys in our group could tell you,i'm sure. Speak up,ladies. We launched on,uh...March 9th,i think. Soo bigger stuff on the 11th and 12ish. How do I rewind that-there fancy graph??
Old 04-01-2010   #6

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
SALT - CHRYSOTILE, NR (SLCA3)

Under "Hydrograph Options", change the "Past Days" to reflect your trip dates. Then hit "Apply and Redisplay".
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Click "table" instead of "graph" under "output format" in the box in the top half of the screen for Chrysotile. Then enter how many days back you want to look (up to 120). You will get a table showing measurements in 15 minute intervals. To guesstimate rapids like Quartzite, just look at the "Salt River Near Roosevelt" table and subtract Cherry Creek (scroll down to "Salt River Basin")
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle Iraq View Post
SALT - CHRYSOTILE, NR (SLCA3)

Under "Hydrograph Options", change the "Past Days" to reflect your trip dates. Then hit "Apply and Redisplay".

Old 04-02-2010   #9

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Most of the rapids wash out at high flow. Ran it @ 10,000 and had no problems but we did take some sneak lines at the big stuff. Portaged Quartzite but that was the old Quartzite so don't know about that now. Big fun!
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #10

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
I was with Dingle, we launched on the 9th, I think.

Class III+.Blackrock looked like it involved some thought, but didn't really. Eye of the needle was mostly flushed, I would certainly give Q a IV, perhaps harder if you go in the wrong place. Our kayakers just scouted for us and pointed to our line, the one right after was nothing big still III+.

I thought the riverbed was known for taking just about any flow and pushing you down fine.

My gut tells me any higher than we rode it and it just becomes easier, yet pushier and wavier.

I'm itching to run it lower.

Scouted from camp one night (w/mr and mrs Dingle) and spotted my wave for the next morning. Rigged up, turned the bend and caught a great loaded R-2 creature surf, must have been 30-60 seconds, made the trip. Bounce,. bounce, bounce, any raft would have been golden for an unlimited safe surf.

If you want class V, just walk upstream a few hundred yards from the put in. Actually that reminds me of that ledgey rapid upstream from the bridge near the put in. That looked like a solid class IV at dinner (I think 3-4000) and at breakfast was a IV+ for sure (6-7000), I saw somewhere that it was a III so, that one is pretty flow dependent. Looked fun, but not the way to start for us.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote