Arm, Wrist, & Hand Numbness Worse When Paddling - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-06-2012   #1

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Arm, Wrist, & Hand Numbness Worse When Paddling

Hi,

Anyone experience hand and arm numbness while paddling? It's bad when I'm paddling and WAY worse about 4 hours into sleep at night. It's debilitating in that I can't seem to stay asleep. I'm always waking up with pain, and I know that I am not sleeping on them as some people have suggested.

Anyone experience these symptoms. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input! This problem has always existed for me, but it's WAY worse after paddling.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
How gripped are you? Are you relaxed when gripping your paddle? Have you tried different paddles. Ie; bent, stright, small dia, large dia, different brands? Some ppl wax or tape thier paddles and they say that helps. Do you have the carpple tunnel thing?

My first thought is that you are gripping too thight or just need to find a better stick that fits you.

ibuprofen before boating and after. Thats how this old man gets by.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
You gotta be more specific about the location of just about everything you are talking about in terms of this complaint. Is the area red, swollen, tender to touch or deep touch? What makes it better? What makes it worse? What positions make it worse? Where exactly is the numbness and tingling? How old are you? etc

nvm. should prob just go to the doctor. If you have an inflammatory arthritis, tenosynovitis, or some nerve entrapment syndrome you need to get looked at and treated accordingly. The list is long
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #4

IdahoFloater-Interesting idea about paddle diameter.... I might have to try a smaller diameter paddle to see if might make a difference. I do hold onto to my paddle pretty tightly, but I don't think that I hold my paddle any tighter than anyone else.

GAtoCSU- There's no redness or evidence of swelling. My hands just feel numb and my thumbs and fingers don't have much feeling. The numbness ends in my wrists and my arms feel tight and ache back to my elbows. Sometimes my fingers are so numb that I can't feel the computer keyboard or feel my shoe laces. Extending my finger muscles outward makes them feel really tight. Sleeping makes it worse and the only thing that makes it better is by lowering my arms below the rest of my body.

Thanks for commenting on this post! I'm just thinking that someone else that boats must have this same problem too.
Old 08-06-2012   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
IdahoFloater-Interesting idea about paddle diameter.... I might have to try a smaller diameter paddle to see if might make a difference. I do hold onto to my paddle pretty tightly, but I don't think that I hold my paddle any tighter than anyone else.

GAtoCSU- There's no redness or evidence of swelling. My hands just feel numb and my thumbs and fingers don't have much feeling. The numbness ends in my wrists and my arms feel tight and ache back to my elbows. Sometimes my fingers are so numb that I can't feel the computer keyboard or feel my shoe laces. Extending my finger muscles outward makes them feel really tight. Sleeping makes it worse and the only thing that makes it better is by lowering my arms below the rest of my body.

Thanks for commenting on this post! I'm just thinking that someone else that boats must have this same problem too.
You're having this symmetrically? Is it getting worse or is it stable? When did it start (I know you said you've always had it, but what does that actually mean)? What happens if you were to paint the ceiling? How long could you keep your arms above your head without this pain (if this makes it worse). Do you have any other issues with numbness, burning, or sensory loss (feet specifically)?

To be honest it sounds like thoracic outlet syndrome. Google it up for a good explanation. If that's the case you'll need to go to an orthopod to get worked up for a possible surgery to make it better. Nothing else would help if it's an accessory rib (pair that is).
Old 08-06-2012   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
Any weight loss, night sweats, fevers, chills, changes in diet, etc?
Holycow, that happens to me every time I scout.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #7

The pain and numbness occur bilaterally with slightly more pain in my right arm. No foot numbness, I would sure hate to have diabetes. Luckily I have avoided that family curse thus far. Painting above my head sounds like pure hell and I could probably only sustain that for a few minutes. As long as I give my arms a break and position them low relative to my body, the numbness eventually goes away. No one has ever said that anything was remarkable about my CXRs, so I hopefully I don't have any extra ribs. I read a little bit about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Sounds interesting. Perhaps this might be it. THANKS!!
Old 08-06-2012   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
The pain and numbness occur bilaterally with slightly more pain in my right arm. No foot numbness, I would sure hate to have diabetes. Luckily I have avoided that family curse thus far. Painting above my head sounds like pure hell and I could probably only sustain that for a few minutes. As long as I give my arms a break and position them low relative to my body, the numbness eventually goes away. No one has ever said that anything was remarkable about my CXRs, so I hopefully I don't have any extra ribs. I read a little bit about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Sounds interesting. Perhaps this might be it. THANKS!!
You can also get it b/c of a high riding first rib, scalene muscle hypertrophy, aberrant connection in that area. It sounds spot on. If I was your 4th year medical student I'd be headed down that direction with you
Old 08-06-2012   #9

Wow! That is so cool to have this free medical advise! Perhaps, finally after all these years, I'll be able to paddle without numbness and wake up in the morning with a full night's sleep. Can't say enough! Thanks so much! Best of luck with your last year of medical school! It's kind of crazy to say this, but I can't wait to get chopped up, if this is in fact the problem. I've lived with this so long now.
Old 08-06-2012   #10

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm with GAtoCSU, sounds like entrapment all the way. Your symptoms point to it.

Kent Phillips RN BSN CCRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
You can also get it b/c of a high riding first rib, scalene muscle hypertrophy, aberrant connection in that area. It sounds spot on. If I was your 4th year medical student I'd be headed down that direction with you
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote