Arkansas flows after Aug. 15 Release ends? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 5 Days Ago   #1

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
Arkansas flows after Aug. 15 Release ends?

Does anyone know if they're going to cut off flows on the Arkansas like they usually do mid August? Like to get up there to play some but can't until around August 19th... Man. Time flies! Meant to get there sooner but life kept getting in the way

love2boat29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Don’t know if this years plan is to go back to native flows after the 15th, or not, but I’d probably just go anyway.
The Ark boats super low, and there should be some decent play, somewhere. Plus it just always feels good to be down there.
Seems like I keep missing high water Ark myself, due to other river trips, but It’s always a great time, even when it’s dirt low, maybe I’m sentimental from working there, years ago...
I’ve had some great trips in November, and even January, some years.

I’m sure Logan will stop by soon with the answer you asked, though.

Have a great trip!!
Old 22 Hours Ago   #3

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
any word?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19 Hours Ago   #4

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
My understanding is that we are on native flow and there hasn't been any augmentation so flows should continue to slowly decline but there shouldn't be a shut off.
ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #5

Taos, New Mexico
Well I just checked the river level and sure enough it's dropped quite a bit today. So there you have it. I was hoping that it would be different with the big snow year.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
We've been largely on native water of late. I expect some "exchanges" will be run soon, where native water is stored in upstream reservoirs and water is released from Pueblo Reservoir. This is a legal mechanism approved by water court decrees that municipalities, conservancy districts and irrigators use to move water to upstream reservoirs.

The upshot is that if we have a decent snow year, the same folks will push water back down to Pueblo this fall and winter giving us marginally boatable flows in Pine Creek and upper Numbers. In fact, the Upper Ark was boatable at some weird times last year for this very reason.

If you want to geek out, check out this link:
Colors of Water Viewer | Arkansas Basin Water Operations Dashboard
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Hours Ago   #7

Taos, New Mexico
Thanks Dan for the input. Looking forward to hopefully another amazing winter! I can certainly feel a change in the air in the mornings of the shift of seasons.

Tags
ark, arkansas