Arkansas Flow Question? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2012   #1

Charlottesville, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2000
Arkansas Flow Question?

Greetings,

Any thoughts on what the flow will be for the Numbers and Royal Gorge between June 13 - 24?

Over/Under 1000 cfs?

Also, I know the snowpack is depressing, but do you think the Clear Creek of the Ark might be above 150 cfs during that time?

Thanks a bunch!

vayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012   #2

Denver, 303
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayaker View Post
Greetings,

Any thoughts on what the flow will be for the Numbers and Royal Gorge between June 13 - 24?

Over/Under 1000 cfs?

Also, I know the snowpack is depressing, but do you think the Clear Creek of the Ark might be above 150 cfs during that time?

Thanks a bunch!
I hope to be hitting those two rivers in between the same dates (15th-22nd) Hopefully things aren't too boney.

-Chris
peaceloveandbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Guessing that with the current conditions, and the future forecasts, we will be looking at 500-600 cfs at the Numbers and around 800 cfs at the Gorge. The limited snowpack we have this season will melt and peak early (likely late April/early May). The Bureau of Reclamation will try and maintain flows on the Arkansas to 700 cfs at the Wellsville gauge until August 15th. Based on the current reservoir levels, and the diverted water that will refill these reservoirs via the Western Slope, I would say my guess will be pretty close...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012   #4

Centennial, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Guessing that with the current conditions, and the future forecasts, we will be looking at 500-600 cfs at the Numbers and around 800 cfs at the Gorge. The limited snowpack we have this season will melt and peak early (likely late April/early May). The Bureau of Reclamation will try and maintain flows on the Arkansas to 700 cfs at the Wellsville gauge until August 15th. Based on the current reservoir levels, and the diverted water that will refill these reservoirs via the Western Slope, I would say my guess will be pretty close...

The Ark has never peaked in late April or early May.

I think mid June is much more realistic for the peak this year.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkmyBait View Post

I'll wager around Memorial day at 2000 cfs. Let's see.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:

Have you seen the snowpack numbers? Last couple of years the river peaked in late May, this year it is already melting quickly, and there isn't much there to melt. Looking back at historical data, 2002 was the most recent year with a similar snowpack to this season. The Ark peaked at 726 cfs at the below Granite gauge on May 22.....so based on that I think Andy's guess of Memorial Day is probably pretty close.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #7

Centennial, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Have you seen the snowpack numbers? Last couple of years the river peaked in late May, this year it is already melting quickly, and there isn't much there to melt. Looking back at historical data, 2002 was the most recent year with a similar snowpack to this season. The Ark peaked at 726 cfs at the below Granite gauge on May 22.....so based on that I think Andy's guess of Memorial Day is probably pretty close.
I have looked at the snowpack numbers and stand by my statement. But you are AGAIN incorrect, the last couple of years the ark did not peak in late May. Last year(2011) the river peaked at just over 4000 cfs on JULY 1st. In 2010, the river peaked at about 5200 on JUNE 6th. I think you are pulling your stats out of your ass.

Andy's guess of Memorial Day (May 28th) is well within the historical range. As I stated before, the ark has never peaked in late April or early May like you originally guessed.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #8

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
I think you are pulling your stats out of your ass.
Eww, that sounds painful.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #9

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Doubt it on Clear Creek of the Ark.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #10

Everywhere, Montana
I can't wait to meet this dude from Centennial. Don't let me down jerk off!
aaronraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas