ArkAnglers Rowing Instruction - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2012   #1

COS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
ArkAnglers Rowing Instruction

Hi Guys~
For my first post. Has anyone taken the ArkAnglers 5-day rowing instruction? Would it be recommend for someone who has never rowed? Buddy and myself are thinking about taking our favorite hobby (fly fishing) mobile. Thanks for the comments.

Clip

Stripperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ark Anglers have top-notch guides, and are the top float fishing company in the Arkansas Valley. I don't know anyone who has taken the course you are asking about, but I doubt you will be disappointed though. What is the cost? The other thing I would say is that if your not familiar with the river you might ask if they cover swiftwater basics....if not you might consider a swiftwater rescue course as well.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #3

COS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the response. We went on a guided float fishing trip with ArkAnglers last year and was hooked. We fish all over the state, why not float all over the state. My friend has been around whitewater rafting for the last few years but I haven't. Before investing all the money on equipment, we decided to make sure this was right for us. The 5-day school is $900 and the goal of the school is "understanding of river dynamics, reading water, and defensive boating" Besides the safety aspect, the school is targeted to "float fishing".
Stripperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
thats two days with a guide on the green.

That is a good deal. I've rowed a few rafts and find fishing is very different than hitting the right spot in white water. The guys that are good seem to use alot of small strokes to keep your line taught and on the water. If this is your goal, five days with a guy or gal that knows what they are doing would be well spent. Please report back after you do it!
Old 01-16-2012   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
For what it is worth

While rowing white water myself, I have watched the folks rowing fly fishers on rivers like the Middle Fork of the Salmon. My opinion is those guides are if not more skillful are at least equal to the better WW rowers. Reason being they don't just bust the WW line but break it down and hold in what looks to me to be near impossible spots for their guests to place a cast where it needs to go. Granted they don't row over loaded gear rafts but they do a fine job with both lightly loaded rafts and drift boats.

Not wanting to start a flame war just giving credit to the those who row the fisher folks.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I suspect the course is very good. You might also look into a similar course offered by the Colorado Mountain College. It is called something like "Rafting for Flyfishing Guides." It's a 7 day course that I think is usually offered in late June. I'm not a guide but I like to fish and wanted to learn how to row a raft. I took the course a couple years ago and it was excellent. Three days on the Colorado and four on the Arkansas. I think it cost around $475. You can check out the College's website or call them and see if it is being offered this year. It's part of the College's Flyfishing Guide Certificate program.
Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
What gear did you need?

That is an incredible deal.
Old 01-16-2012   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm surprised no one's chimed in about how expensive the courses are and that they can teach you to row in an afternoon for $15 and a case of PBR....
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #9

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
I agree with Andy. I'm a "certified float guide" and these courses are provided to certify you as a float fishing guide. Granted you will learn a lot but pick up a book read and learn safety of the river then, put a post up offering brews, food, and gas and I'm sure someone will take you out and teach you the basics. I would also shop around I took my course for 500, which was 5-7 days of training, which included some swift river education. That was through ffo which I would not recommend now as their veteran guides have left and they have changed ownership. Check with my shop "Minturn anglers" they may be doing a course this year for half the cost or may be willing to do a personalized course with veteran guide Bob Streb for cheap.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I agree with Andy.
Uhhh, no, you don't. I was thinking about the fact that these guys are talking about organized multi-day courses that cover a particular set of skills that, if taught by professionals, aren't cheap and are probably well worth the money for folks who value their time.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark