ARK, Rincon to Pinnical rock beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2008   #1

ARK, Rincon to Pinnical rock beta

I am going to be up in Salida this weekend and was wonding what Salida to Rincon is like at these flows and Rincon to pinnical rock? I have a group of people who have paddled class II stuff and were looking for something just up from that. They will all be in duckys. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Ducky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nothing much above rincon, should be fine. If you float closer to Cotopaxi you will hit cottonwood, which has gigantic waves, but no real move to make and good recovery. Seems there were a few other spots below valli bridge that might trip up a novice.

Water should be warm though and if they don't mind a swim, it would all be fine. Probably too big for kids, though.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Don't count on warm water. Since it is still flowing 3000+, it is flowing to fast to really warm up any. It took us under 2 hours to rum Browns a week ago. I estimate it takes around 5 hours for the water in Browns to reach the Gorge. Anyway, the water is still close to freezing to be way too cold for unprotected skin.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I guess its all relative. The water temp seemed way up into the fifties, which is 20 degrees warmer than lots of the creeks around here.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #5

Good beginner run but for sure the ante is up a little at these flows. There are what are rated as class III- rapids on the stretch. As mentioned, Cottonwood will have big waves and a hole at the bottom that should be missed. Before Cottonwood is Tincup which is a good drop with some big tail waves. Jeeze, I can't remember, is Badger Creek above or below Rincon? If it's below it's pretty simple, stay left away from the big rock pourover, otherwise it's just waves. There are some smaller rapids that at higher flows will have hole and rock dodging with strong eddies. There's one called (I thinkn) red rock or coal creek that at high water has some small holes that could trip up a beginner.

All and all though, I'd say it's a great beginner stretch though, swims should be easy, lot's of eddies to practice on, good mild play spots and no bumper to bumper raft traffic.
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #6

Teacher/Bartender, Colorado
Just ran from Cotapaxi to Pinnacle the other day at 3600. It was a blast. At this big cfs, it is a ton of wave trains, but there are some holes in there for sure that could suck in a ducky pretty quickly. We followed some people from Rock'n'Row down who gave us beta on where the holes were and how to miss them. They were pretty great and waited for us when we had to stretch our legs.

We did have two swimmers during the run (one from a mini hole and one from big wave trains in Maytag.) It can take a while to round up everything and find an eddy after.

Either way, you will not be bored with that stretch now if they are less than class 4 paddlers. Think the 14 miles took us about 3 hours... Very little boring flat water...
JHoch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #7

I was boating the Ark all week. Just bring your skills and a rope tell your class two boaters to be ready for big water. I had a garage sell at pinnacle rock 3 swimmers and quite a mess. Be safe and have fun awsom water up there.
timberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #8

Thanks of all of the information. The run was SUPER fun. And it was much bigger than I expected. I wish the ARK stayed at these levels all summer long. We had one swimmer that got a little shaken up but she had a blast! Thanks again.
Ducky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I am glad you had a good time. I have to admit, the water did warm up from two weeks ago when I was on it. Still, everyone I was with yesterday in Browns got cold. Today I oared Fractions, Frog rock before it drops any more. Good fun to be had by everyone.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark