Ark melt? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ark melt?

Anybody along the river this week see anything clearing up? It was close to 70 in Canon City yesterday; has me wondering if there's any chance to paddle anywhere on the Ark this weekend?
If you've got a visual on Pine Creek, Parkdale, or anything in-between in the next day or three, please post what you see. Is it all still ice?

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013   #2

Drove along ark on a few days ago. Solid ice through Pine Creek. Small channels here and there in numbers. Its gonna take a major warm spell to melt this.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
What Tree said. The BV playpark has a "runnable" channel through it if you don't mind major ice shelves. Logan said the Milk Run is "open". I'm gonna look at some of the Fractions at the end of today. We're planning on getting on something on Sun. Will keep you in the loop, Id.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013   #4

The next zone, .
In my opinion from the #'s to town is not safe as there are a ton of ice bridges. I would think something further south had to melt out as it is 51 here in BV today.

The only reason that the upper river was open the past couple of years was the change in the way water is moved.. In 2009 or so where the fisher folks wanted any extra water released or moved in the winter so you would see 100+ cfs of "warm" water getting released out of Twin in Jan - Feb - early March. This in turn allows the river to be kept super low in May (or until natural run off starts) for the fry to emerge.. It is also done so that fisherfolk can ensure good fishing during the caddis hatch that happens every year in late April / early May.

Needless to say there is not much extra water in the system this year so I doubt you will see any release of "winter water" to melt the ice. With out this water getting released I would bet from Piney to town will be frozen for at least another month or so.
Old 01-24-2013   #5

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
In my opinion from the #'s to town is not safe as there are a ton of ice bridges. I would think something further south had to melt out as it is 51 here in BV today.

The only reason that the upper river was open the past couple of years was the change in the way water is moved.. In 2009 or so where the fisher folks wanted any extra water released or moved in the winter so you would see 100+ cfs of "warm" water getting released out of Twin in Jan - Feb - early March. This in turn allows the river to be kept super low in May (or until natural run off starts) for the fry to emerge.. It is also done so that fisherfolk can ensure good fishing during the caddis hatch that happens every year in late April / early May.

Needless to say there is not much extra water in the system this year so I doubt you will see any release of "winter water" to melt the ice. With out this water getting released I would bet from Piney to town will be frozen for at least another month or so.
Noted and agree. I'll still be checking though...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #6

The next zone, .
I know you will phil!

As I have said you are flat crazy for paddlin this time of year ..

All kiddin aside - Parkdale has to be ice free as that used to be the go to run in years of the past when the #'s would be frozen for 3 months straight.

Good luck in your search man!
Old 01-24-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Parkdale is probally iffy. I was down the canyon a week ago and it was pretty much locked up. If I get a chance to run down that way, today or tomorrow, I will see if I can get a current look.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The best option for just getting on the water that I have seen in the last 2 days is the middle of Rincon. You could put in just below Bear Creek rapid and boat down to just above the typewriter wave. There is one small ice bridge shortly above Spider rapid, but it didn't have any current above it, and it looked to me like you could paddle up onto it and push across... you would have to take out before the corner above the swimming hole because it was still totally iced over and the shelves on the sides were like 4-5 ft glaciers collapsing into the water. From below Bear Creek to the campsites river left above the typewriter wave only be 4.5 miles of class II, but I don't see any other feasible option.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I would be game to ride down to the Racecourse with you if you wanted Phil, but work has been slow lately, so I don't have a lot of $ to work with...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks, guys -
My buddy walked Waterton today and said much of it is doable. We may do that Sunday.
If I don't hear from anybody who sees Parkdale tomorrow, I will drive down and look on Saturday.
A couple of us would be willing to go to the Race course on Sunday, but the weather forecast isn't so great for Taos.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark