Ark/Groover Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2012   #1

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Ark/Groover Question

A friend of mine recently was ticketed for not having a groover between BV and Salida. I wasn't aware that a groover was required but I also don't spend much time down that way. So, what's the story??

Bueller?? Bueller??

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you camp along the river, or in any BLM site near the river you are required to have a groover. It has been that way since I have lived here (since 2002). Dispersed sites such as river left just above Rincon, or anywhere in Browns Canyon don't have signs stating it....but pretty much everywhere else does.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Always take a groover down Brown's! My husband and his buddies were questioned the very first time they ran it many years ago. It is required if you are camping. For Brown's, we always use Wag bags, the portable toilet seat they fit into, and carry everything in a small ammo can.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
So if you are doing a day trip or laps you don't need one? Did they get ticketed at a camp spot or on the river? Thanks. While we are at it... What about our stage two fire ban that bans all fires, yet you are required to have a firepan regardless. I guess my question is that if you needed to build a fire in a pan due to an emergency, like hypothermia, where do you fall in the eyes of the law? Definitely not complaining, i have all the gear and always bring it on over night camping trips, I just want to understand if it's needed on day trips.
Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vailboater View Post
So if you are doing a day trip or laps you don't need one? Did they get ticketed at a camp spot or on the river? Thanks. While we are at it... What about our stage two fire ban that bans all fires, yet you are required to have a firepan regardless. I guess my question is that if you needed to build a fire in a pan due to an emergency, like hypothermia, where do you fall in the eyes of the law? Definitely not complaining, i have all the gear and always bring it on over night camping trips, I just want to understand if it's needed on day trips.
No, not required for day trips. You are still required to carry a firepan when camping regardless of the fire ban for the reasons you listed, emergency....and if it's a true emergency you are very unlikely to get ticketed.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012   #7

Salida, Colorado
AHRA camping regs

I just wanted to clear up this discussion on AHRA camping regulations. There is a requirement to have a portable toilet device when camping outside of established campsites in the AHRA. This not only includes river trips but camping in areas such as the non-developed areas along CR 371 up in the Numbers etc. As for fire pans, you must use one if tending a fire where no constructed fire grates are provided. In other words no fires in rock fire rings. No fire - no pan required. We welcome calls or emails when there are questions of this kind.

Stew @ AHRA
AHRA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark