Ark flows next weekend - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2013   #1

Ark flows next weekend

Me and a bunch of non kayaking friends are going camping down by buena vista next weekend. Any have a prediction on flows? Anyone want to paddle on Saturday?

Lastly, anyone have any suggestions on where a good good place would be to go out for dinner and beers? I think there is going to be about 15-20 of us with several kids.

lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The eddy line brewery is pretty cool. The only other place I eat at in BV is K's which is delicious but probably not what your looking for
Old 05-13-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Flows should come up by next weekend. Quite frankly I'm surprised it hasn't jumped up a little more over the last couple of days... I don't think it can hold off much longer though, especially with the forecast temps. If I had to pick a number I would say we should hopefully have 500ish cfs in Numbers by next weekend....

Eddyline is a great choice for dinner and drinks, but they have 2 locations. Just make sure to go to the restaurant at South Main across from the river park. The pub by the stoplight doesn't have a full kitchen.

Other options include the Asian Palate, the Branding Iron, the Coyote Cantina, Los Girasoles, and Quincy's. Depending on what your hungry for. There is a good chance I will be up for some paddling next weekend....
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
The Eddyline for food and beer.

Logan, talked to an AHRA? guy in Brown's yesterday, can't remember his name. He said they were/are holding back 110 cfs at Twin Lakes right now. We would have been 430, not 320 in Browns. Its a short term thing so I would guess 500 might be a low guess, especially if the weather pans out as forecast.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
The Eddyline for food and beer.

Logan, talked to an AHRA? guy in Brown's yesterday, can't remember his name. He said they were/are holding back 110 cfs at Twin Lakes right now. We would have been 430, not 320 in Browns. Its a short term thing so I would guess 500 might be a low guess, especially if the weather pans out as forecast.
I don't know who you talked to, but look at the gauges. There is 99 in Lake Creek above the reservoir and 44 cfs below the reservoir. 30 cfs of that is coming through the tunnel..... and if you look at the reservoir level you can tell they are pumping water through Otero.... this means they are "holding" 25 cfs.

If you look at the gauges at Clear Creek, Ark at Malta and Halfmoon Creek they are almost flat lined with hardly any diurnal cycle, which means the melt hasn't got going yet.....
Old 05-13-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
In fact I don't believe they are holding back any water at Twin Lakes. If you look at the reservoir level for the year it has been dropping steadily. No storage going on yet.

Old 05-13-2013   #7

BV, CO
Don't know, Bro. Just repeating what a man in uniform told me. Quite possible I mangled his message but I don't think so.
Old 05-13-2013   #8

Loveland, Colorado
Twin Lakes update

Hi guys,
I'm not sure what the 110 cfs discussion was about, either. There was a flow program meeting on Friday, and the guy in uniform might have been sharing something he learned from that. I don't know.

What I do know is we're releasing around 60 cfs from Twin right now. I also saw a note that we're about to start importing from the West Slope. We have to wait for the little streams we divert from over there up above Ruedi to get to the right cfs before we can turn the diversions on. We have them all ready to go, just waiting for the right readings. So, when that happens, that should help.

Also, it looks like we'll have some water for the Flow Program this year, which is good news. You might remember back in March, they were feeling pretty skeptical.

That's all very general and probably info you already know. I'll share more specific stuff once I have it.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #9

BV, CO
Thanks Kara!
Old 05-13-2013   #10

Thanks all.

Lmyers, let me know if you won't to paddle. You can call or text me at 3033242524.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark