Ark Flows 8/2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2010   #1

Ark Flows 8/2

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post195811

Also the raftable flows might be ending next week when the program water runs out, go to:
WaterFlow Levels

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010   #2

The next zone, .
The VFP should get us to Aug 15th this year what you are lookin at is the 10,000 acr/ft that the DOW and fishermen would like to cap the VFP at... It all has to do with a study that happened in 2002 or the 100 yr low water cycle. How the DOW can put so many eggs in a study on a anomaly year is beyond me and not good scientific practice IMO..

Many many years we use over 10,000 acr/ft and this "cap" is a new idea that is pushed by the fisherflok to get the flows as low as possible for as long as possible.. Historically and most folks feel that if the water is there that we should be able to hold 700 at wellsville until August 15th.. Just so you know the water is there this year...

I never saw that 30 rack that some one bet me last year but if anyone wants to make a bet I got a 30 rack of pbr that says we will make 700 at wellsville until Aug 15th.. Come on any takers ???
Old 07-29-2010   #3

So who controls the spigot?

Seems like it'd be the DNR of which DOW is a part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010   #4

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
So who controls the spigot?

Seems like it'd be the DNR of which DOW is a part.
I could write a bunch as this is a question with a long anwser and the short of it is that there are many agencies that contribute to where the water goes and when.. I am headin to baileys so I will type more when I get a chance..

DNR and DOW are part of the VFP along with SE, CSU, AHRA, fishermen, and AROA... Enough acronms for ya .. Alll work together to make it work as well as it can. They all work with in a frame work to get us the best possible outcome for the most users and this depends on the time of year. I can say that from what I have seen all parties work extremely hard to get the flows that we have...

So no one agency has their finger on the trigger but rather the VFP as we know it is a bunch of people/agencies working together..
Old 08-10-2010   #5

Now that there isn't a question of rafting flow for this weekend, I'm wondering if the river might stay up longer.

News here:
Upper Ark flows get a boost from rains - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local
Old 08-11-2010   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Only if it keeps raining. Come the 16th, I imagine flows will be back down to more typical native flows, and the augmentation will be over. Then the fishermen can rejoice and get out there with their fly rods...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark