Ark flow: when do they turn the water off? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2018   #1

Ark flow: when do they turn the water off?

A month or so ago someone posted that ark is supposed to get water release through Aug 15? Any update on this? Numbers was fun last week at 450 (below granite). Enough flow to go from stealth to the grassy knoll. Looks like 380 today.

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018   #2

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
And someone else, me, corrected that bad info. Look at the gauge now and you'll have your answer.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dropping now. Sounds like there will still be releases for another week or maybe two. As of now there is 150 cfs coming out of Twin Lakes above the native flow. If they cut the releases completely the flow on Numbers is going to drop to 275... Just looking at the current storage in Twin Lakes I would guess they will release another 7k acre ft or so before cutting it off completely. At the current release level that amount of water will last about +/- 10 days.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018   #4

thanks, great info. will try to get up next week. btw, is it just side streams that account for difference between the below granite and nathrop guages?
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by treewell View Post
thanks, great info. will try to get up next week. btw, is it just side streams that account for difference between the below granite and nathrop guages?
Yep. You have Frenchman Creek, 3 Elk Creek, Fourmile Creek, Cottonwood Creek, Chalk Creek and Browns Creek that come in before the "near Nathrop" gauge, which is actually located at Hecla Junction.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ouch. I'm glad I got on it earlier this week when it was a raging 575! (and really glad I caught it at 1,200 peak flow...)

Thanks for the info, y'all,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #7

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Phil- Can you re-post your correct info? I had heard that we may get a small boost on august 1? thx
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #8

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I presume the answer to this is too complex, but curious what discussion there has ever been about alternating the flow of the Ark between day and night so that not quite so much water gets pushed through during the middle of the night when (I presume) no one recreationally cares. I know the water flow out of Flaming Gorge alternates wildly between night and day. You would presume the flows would be much more boater friendly if they alternated it as such.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think that Flaming Gorge is a hydroelectric project and, like Glen Canyon Dam, releases to meet the daily electricity demand fluctuations.

My understanding is the flow on the Ark is released at a constant rate because the fluctuations in discharge take a couple of days to get from the dam to Canon City. They just can't time the flows for maximum daytime recreation for the whole AHRA section.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #10

291 now for the numbers. Did they just shut it off?
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark