Ark Flow Forecast? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2013   #1

SW, Colorado
Ark Flow Forecast?

Anyone have insight on what the present release/flow forecast is for the Arkansas.

Last I heard, the "rec" flows were still probable (700cfs?)

Any new news for the next month?

fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yeah, it should be coming. They did press releases and everything regarding the Voluntary Flow Management Program so the releases should start right around July 1st. It will probably only require a small release at first with the current flow status, and hopefully then it starts to rain...... we shall see.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #3

VFMP at Wellsville has been reduced to 650 CFS at the request of the outfitters.

WaterFlow Announcements

Detail Graph
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bruce,

Thanks for the update. I'll take 650 cfs all the way through August 15 rather than run out of water before then... Yeah, it's stretched thin but at least we've got something better than the 250 we were expecting for most of the season back in April!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Ark, Flow Program update

All,
What Logan, Bruce and others have described and explained so far in this and some other threads is accurate.

Currently (July 8 ), we're releasing about 180 cfs out of Twin Lakes Dam. I believe Pueblo Board of Water Works is also releasing from Clear Creek, so Wellsville is at 650 cfs.

Reclamation will officially begin releasing VFMP water from Twin in a couple more days. It's definitely a team effort! To see the team in action check out the WaterFlow Announcements page from a few posts back.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Kara, can you tell us anything about the Eleven Mile section of the South Platte? Thanks so much for keeping us informed.

Detail Graph
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #7

Loveland, Colorado
11 Mile

Phil,
Unfortunately, I cannot. I'm pretty sure Eleven Mile Canyon Reservoir belongs to Denver Water.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamb View Post
All,
What Logan, Bruce and others have described and explained so far in this and some other threads is accurate.

Currently (July 8 ), we're releasing about 180 cfs out of Twin Lakes Dam. I believe Pueblo Board of Water Works is also releasing from Clear Creek, so Wellsville is at 650 cfs.

Reclamation will officially begin releasing VFMP water from Twin in a couple more days. It's definitely a team effort! To see the team in action check out the WaterFlow Announcements page from a few posts back.

Best,
Kara
Thanks Kara. We all appreciate the effort you make to keep the paddling community informed. After last year you won't catch me complaining about 650.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Anyone know what's up with the Ark flow now? Wellsville gage is down to 603 cfs and the comment on the flows page makes it seem like this is the new target flow?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Answer to my question: Per an article in the Mountain Mail today, 600 cfs is the new target, and it's doubtful that this can be maintained through August 15th.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark