Ark ELFing conditions - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2014   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Ark ELFing conditions

Twin Lakes started releasing 130ish cfs this week to make room for the anticipated runoff. The "warm" water and raised level is clearing the ice out of the rio. Ran BV to Johnson Village yesterday and there was almost no ice. Scouted Fractions today and it looks good to go, at least what I could see. Plan on running it tomorrow and will post conditions. Numbers are opening up some but there are still ice bridges in there. Pool below Scott's Bridge is frozen etc. I checked Pine Creek from the highway pull out. There was an ice bridge at the big river right rock at the put in but it looked open below that to the hole. Couldn't see below that. S'posed to be 50+ tomorrow. Time for some boating!

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Isn't this what they did in 2012? And then by May, there wasn't any water left after it didn't snow in March and April?

Nonetheless I really appreciate the updates Phil; I'm jonesin hard to paddle! Please let us know if you see any more clearing on the Numbers.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The fact is they have to start moving water by mid Feb if there has been sufficient high country moisture. In 2012 they started releasing right after new years and were done by the 3rd week of Feb. I am hopeful that if the weather pattern dries up they will curtail the release. Also worth keeping in mind is that they were releasing 2-3 times as much water in 2012 and that Twin Lakes is a storage facility for Western Slope water headed to the front range and there has to be room for those imports.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014   #4

BV, CO
What Logan said...

And, looks like #4 down might go soon and IMHO that is the best ELF run on the Ark except Pine Creek laps if that is your thing. Typical late ice spots... I didn't drive up rio left to #4 but my guess is it is tight but open. No ice bridge at #5. Tight through 5 and a half but there was a line. Tight line through #6 but it looked like there was a line. The shallows above 6, "False 6" , had a lot of thick ice shelves but a line was there.A couple ice bridges at and immediately above #7. Could be gone in a couple days. The ice bridge at Devil's Claw that was there a couple days ago is gone. Walked in at railroad bridge and down stream a couple hundred yards into the Miracle Mile and it looked quite open. Also, walked in and looked at House Rock and while there were ice shelves, there was no bridge. Amazing what 130cfs can do. Could be the start of a great Ark season.
Old 02-14-2014   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm in for a mid-week exploratory ELF session! Let me know what happens please. Happy boating!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #6

BV, CO
Paddled the Fractions (Miner's campground to Elephant/Frog Rock) the last 2 days. Almost no ice. Very nice ELFing level. Must be close to 200cfs in the rio. There were several ice bridges in the 4 thru 7 section yesterday. Only one left today, just above #7. Saw a Bald Eagle and a Kingfisher today. Mid February and the Ark is good to go...
Old 02-17-2014   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Boating season has arrived to the Upper Ark. Granted, flows are low and its still pretty cold, but the river is mostly open and great for a mid-winter kayak fix.

Top of the new Silver Bullet boat chute

Bottom of the boat chute looks like a quality freestyle feature with eddy service

Put in for Fractions

So much fun...
Old 02-17-2014   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the continued updates, fellas. Looks fun.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #9

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
Isn't this what they did in 2012? And then by May, there wasn't any water left after it didn't snow in March and April?

Nonetheless I really appreciate the updates Phil; I'm jonesin hard to paddle! Please let us know if you see any more clearing on the Numbers.

Yea this is exactly what they did and what they said they would not repeat. Short memory I guess. The water folks wish they could hold it but the fishing interests may well force enough water to be released this winter to indeed sink summer releases again if there is not GREAT snow in March and April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
The fact is they have to start moving water by mid Feb if there has been sufficient high country moisture. In 2012 they started releasing right after new years and were done by the 3rd week of Feb. I am hopeful that if the weather pattern dries up they will curtail the release. Also worth keeping in mind is that they were releasing 2-3 times as much water in 2012 and that Twin Lakes is a storage facility for Western Slope water headed to the front range and there has to be room for those imports.
Our only hope is that they dont release too much and hope for snow as it looks like we are heading down the same road as 2012....
Old 02-17-2014   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
But they were releasing like 300 a couple years ago, and I remember it being early because I ran the milk run at around 450 CFS on January 13th... Do you know if there is a certain acre footage they are moving? Isn't there a target level they want to have the reservoir at before the melt starts? If there wasn't more storms in the pipeline I would probably have a problem with it, but as long as they don't draw the reservoir too low and it keeps snowing I don't think its going to affect the spring runoff...plus aren't there issues with where they need to keep the height of twin lakes for the power plant?

Tags
ark