ARK at FLOOD is WORLD CLASS! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
ARK at FLOOD is WORLD CLASS!

people, I cannot tell you how f'n phenomenal the ark is at super high water.

my crew from durango came down and lapped granite, pine creek through numbers, browns and capped it off with the gorge at over 5K a couple times!

I have about 1000 river miles or so and I can say that aside from the grand at 30K the ark is THE SHIT! 10 out of 10-five stars at high water!

Huge waves, the holes/dangers are easily avoidable (except for sidels which we lapped right down the center ahahahahah!!!!!!!!), the water is warm, the canyons are tits, gripping and superior practice for creekers and world class waves for play.

I tell you, it is THE SHIT, i hit the river lottery and I am soooooo stoked right now!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ amen! i love climbing onto the top of a massive wave train and looking over and seeing youre even with the level of cars on the highway........i must confess the Ark at 5,000 is easily up there on my list of best river trips ever!
Old 06-08-2010   #3

Ran Browns last night at 4500, most fun ever on that run, not any harder, just faster and bigger. A must do
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010   #4

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The wave in bottom of staircase (I think)...HUGE!!!!! Brown's was just amazing. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the Gorge at over 4000...I've run it a 3000 fine but even at 3 it was awesome!! Hugging waves the whole way
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #5

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree, world class for sure. If only I wasn't at work today. Brown's is possibly the most kick ass class III on the planet right now. Just when you get through zoom and think its the biggest on the water, it just gets bigger and bigger the more you go down in the run.

I highly suggest Brown's for those that haven't earned all their stars like me for a high water numbers run.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #6

The next zone, .
Ya know I have been sayin it for years .....

Glad you boys had a good time.
Old 06-08-2010   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Agree 100%- Browns at 4500 is the best play run I have ever done. Big easy rapids and amazing surf everywhere.

Pine Creek/#s at 3400 was pretty good too...
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #8

The next zone, .
My arms are like noodles but I try and get in a section every day as this will not last long.. It does look like we will have these super high flows for another day or two..

IMO right now the #'s can not be beat for big play.. Outstanding!

In other high water news.. The upper spot came in here in BV! One side is this big green wave that is so smooth and fun. Staricase spot is a super fun surf/loop/blunt spot but then comes the next hole.. As if we needed yet another treat here in the BV park the 3rd feature is flat out unbelieveable! It is the best spot in a great park and one of the best on the entire upper river. If you have not got a chance to ride it you need to. Then the 4th spot has a great steep green wave on the river left.. The 5th spot or the lowest one is still fast bouncy fun but has mellowed and can be caught from the river right eddie. All 5 are great and when taken in one sitting are world class for sure - dont miss out!

Also if you are beat from paddlin and lookin for something to do head up to the cascades on chalk creek. Very impressive..
Old 06-08-2010   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 07087050 ARKANSAS RIVER BELOW GRANITE, CO

looks like a drop today. They are still releasing 1400 from Twin but the river is down a fair bit since this morning. Is it cool up there today NEK.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Detail Graph
never mind, there is your answer. they shut off Clear Creek.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark