Arizona ballot measure contests ownership of the Grand Canyon - Yahoo! News

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Wow. if anyone has justification for claim it isn't Arizona - it's the tribes native to the area.

Quote:
The measure is the latest salvo in the so-called "sagebrush revolt" by Republicans in the West aiming to take back control of major swaths of land owned by various federal agencies, much of it by the Interior Department's Bureau of Land Management.
republicans can seriously disappear so the rest of us can make progress.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #3

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
After living in Phoenix for 2 years I have a theory on why Arizona has such bizarre people living there and making decisions.

See, the human brain cooks at temps of 105 and higher, the summer months in Arizona have temps averaging 105-120 or higher with lows in the nineties.

I think the summers have cooked the Arizonans brains so they are no longer capable of rational thought. That is my only explanation for the strange news from the state of Zoners.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012   #4

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
It may seem crazy but I read that Utah wants to onfiscate all the federal lands except national parks. I don't know why this isn't getting more press. If Romney gets in this will probably happen and we will start seeing much of the public land sold to the highest bidder.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #5

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If AZ get the canyon can CO keep the water? Only seems fair.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #6

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No kidding!
Old 10-23-2012   #7

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
While I cannot apologize for the right-wing wackos in my native state, I can say that most voting citizens do not agree with local politicians like Sylvia Allen who are steadfast in their belief the earth was created 6000 years ago and created only for the benefit of man. In the past, AZ voters have soundly rejected bullshit of this type when it was referred to the ballot by the wacko right legislative majority.

Hopefully, this type of embarrasment will cease with the passage of prop 121 which is also on the Nov. Ballot and if passed, will truly open our primary elections and begin to move legislative membership towards a more sane and centrist bent.

All federal lands which include National Parks and Monuments, BLM and US Forest Service lands which make up over 50% of Az lands belong to ALL citizens of the US and while they could be better managed with more dollars from Congress, the Feds are doing a better job than the state of Az could ever dream of doing.

Even if this passes in two weeks, it will never come to be as the land ownership is firmly in control of the US government and that will not change. It will however continue to cause outdoor loving citizens great pain as the humiliation continues. We might need to start wearing a paper bag over our heads to hide our shame.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm just glad to see that many of the Montana wacko's apparently moved to Arizona. They seem to have died off here, maybe global warming is melting them?

Yeah, let's see AZ try to abscond with that. Logging in NF is one thing, Wilderness is another, but millions of people from around the world adore the GC and its protections. It's always entertaining when people show their true redneck IQ.
Old 10-24-2012   #9

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I really hope this measure doesn't pass. Beside the fact that our National Parks and federal lands belong to everyone, our state parks are currently under funded and taking on the costs to maintain the federal land in AZ is not possible. Even is this exchange of ownership could happen, I'm of the opinion that this is more about privatizing concessionaires that could profit from our National Parks. Shameful & Greedy...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #10

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdon View Post
Hopefully, this type of embarrasment will cease with the passage of prop 121 which is also on the Nov. Ballot and if passed, will truly open our primary elections and begin to move legislative membership towards a more sane and centrist bent.
All the third party candidates in the current election say that prop 121 will simply solidy the duopoly of the corporate controled republicans and democrats.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona