Arizona TR - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2010   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Arizona TR

Went to Sedona for the first time this past week. Really beautiful area. Enough snowpack so that some roads not often closed were. Caught the Indian Gardens run on Oak Creek at 700ish twice. Class 4 creeking in red rock desert at a nice level, a fun early season warm up. There's tons of wood in the creek but nothing that couldn't be easily avoided. I don't know about the "spiritual vortices" in the area but anytime I'm camping in canyons that used to be populated by Native Americans it feels strong to me.

Took a bit of a detour and went further south and paddled 16 miles of the Verde at 3000+. I think the book calls 1800 high. The high water made the run go fast. Ran into several gripped rafting parties taking off early cuz of the amount of trees growing in the rio. At high water the low water channel is not always obvious and several times we would enter a rapid and find ourselves running down a dead end as the trees closed in. It got a bit sketchy a couple times as we searched for a high speed way through the trees. Kept it straight, no carnage thankfully. Ran "The Falls" blind which was juicy and fun. Saw several waves that looked very dynamic but we put on late and were on a mission. We arrived at the takeout as the shuttle "gods and goddesses" did. They had a bit of an epic with the road creating some vehicle carnage. Were I to ever run that section again (not likely) we would probably take the long way around through Strawberry for the shuttle.

We camped that night near Fossil Creek which was running 100ish. That's actually a good level compared to the base level of 40 something the spring normally provides. I had to change a tire and keep a promise to my non boating wife that we'd have a non boating day so I drove away from my fave kind of boating, low volume creeking, and will have to wait for the pics my boys will have when they get back. The drive up and out revealed a really beautiful creek with a travertine creek bed.

We drove to the Grand Canyon and watched the sun set with all the global tourists. Spectacular, but I kept trying to find angles that let me see the rio below...

Phil

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What day were you at Fossil? We were there Friday night through Sunday morning and it was amazingly fun, running about 150 we estimated. The lower stretches of Oak Creek were super fun too. Sorry we didn't get to hook up for some runs, but it sounds like you guys had plenty of fun.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
What day were you at Fossil? We were there Friday night through Sunday morning and it was amazingly fun, running about 150 we estimated. The lower stretches of Oak Creek were super fun too. Sorry we didn't get to hook up for some runs, but it sounds like you guys had plenty of fun.
Got there Sunday evening. They ran it Monday morning. Yeah, too bad we didn't hook up for some Oak Creek. We were quite the group with a 4 year old and a 15 month old. We definitely didn't have a loose boating schedule. Still time to get us some CO. this year though...
P.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona