Arizona creeking - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2008   #1

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Arizona creeking

Hey Cody,
Me and some buddies were debating about driving down to AZ on thursday night. Whats your thoughts on water levels for the weekend. Do you think christopher or the hells gate section might go thursday or friday? Let's go kayaking dude.
-Christian
203-383-9368

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008   #2

in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
Its probably going to be [email protected]#kin' sweet this weekend!! The storm is supposed to roll threw tomorrow and then again on Saturday....with snow levels very high (7500) = lotsa run off hopefully. So look for creeks that have run off and aren't rain dependent. Meaning the rim creeks (christopher, oak, tonto and new ones) will be good.

But, ...(pause)....it is AZ. So expect the worst and hope for the best. So right now i'm on standby. And as of right now i'm leaning on heading over to Cali to get some low elevation first descents. But if AZ shapes up tomorrow, then it is go time in the Canyon State!!

Here is what you want to keep an eye on for the weekend (as you can see, they are predicting some massive flows too).......CLICK HERE. So if those predictions start to become a reality, then get you shit and get out of CO!!

Cody
Old 01-24-2008   #3

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
are the roads to these rivers very bad? we might be takin a honda accord down there.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008   #4

in the ditches, ......
Tricky to say. But, i think you should be fine. Getting into Bear Flat (cc take out, hellsgate put-in) might be a bitch, but i witnessed Riverwrangler's photographers take their civic everywhere.....granted it was dry for the most part, but hell, they made it!

Cody
Old 01-24-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
I did it so you con't have to

Christian (and anyone else who is interested):

I went down there a couple weeks ago and we got a bit skunked. Some things I wish I knew:

1) The Paddling AZ book says that he has seen the Agua Fria running 200 when the guage is at 80. Well the river can also be running at 10 when the guage is at 80 so you need a visual for that one.

2) The East Verde gauge is F-ed. It said 1000 when we were there and the river looked more like 60.

3) The directions in the new book to the Tonto "Box Canyon" which is supposed to be 4+ is actually the directions to a class III run.

4) The Tonto gauge actually works.

5) The Hellsgate (which was too low when we were there) shuttle has a huge hill. You probably want to two vehicles b/c it would be one hell of a bike ride.

6) The super secret put-in directions for the super secret but not really a secret illegal run are no good. Unless you are alot smarter than us, you will never find a put-in; and the run at 1000 looks burly (from 1500 feet up); and its totally visible from the road- you will probably get caught if you figure out the shuttle and survive the whitewater.

Anyway, if there is actually water and you have a good plan, let me know and I'll give it another go sometime.

Josh
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #6

in the ditches, ......
umm...just following up on these pointers....

"Agua Fria running 200 when the guage is at 80. Well the river can also be running at 10 when the guage is at 80 so you need a visual for that one"

1. Take a look at the upstream gage (mayer) .....it has been stuck at 80. Now look at the downstream gage....its at 2. = shits broke. So here's the solution: Auga Fria @ Rock Springs >1500 and you should be good to go. Don't look at Mayer until it is fixed.

"The East Verde gauge is F-ed. It said 1000 when we were there and the river looked more like 60."

2. That gage is at the confluence some 30-40 miles downstream....if you are trying to do the Doll Baby run (87 x-ing), and rely on that one, you'll get skunked hard. Best is a visual, unfortunately.

**In fact, all of Payson's creeks are visuals** = meaning don't completely rely on tonto to tell you if Christopher is running....instead RELY ON THIS ....heavy rain or rain ontop of what snowpack is there will make this run, along with Hellsgate.

Other than that, i'd say those statements are spot on. Although, i would be more worried about the small creek that crosses the road (mile 2), rather than the hill. (bear flats rd)

It's shapin' up...but i'm still hesitant. My recommendation would to also look or give Woods Canyon (V) a try....that shit is sick in there (plus it's a two dayer), and i think it just may go.

Cody
Old 01-24-2008   #7

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Poland - Round 2? Looks like rain and snow over the Bradshaw as well. I want it... like bad.
Old 01-24-2008   #8

The AZ skunk factor is SO high. I've definitely had my heart broken at both the East Verde put-in and the hellsgate put-in.

Maybe in the next edition of the guidebook there should be a section dedicated to alternate activities in case of low-flows. We settled on gawking at college girls in Flagstaff (recommended) and dodging bullets on the rez (not recommended).

I'd take skis this time of year, as one potential shut-down is snow instead of rain (happened to us), and Snobowl in Flag actually looks kinda fun.

Good luck. I'm psyched to see more pics from this storm.

T
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Its a no go for us it looks like sunday may go but that monday will be epic, just looked at noaa and they are predicting over 2inches sunday thru monday. hope somebody gets on it.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #10

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Anyone know what the Virgin Narrows might be doing?

Tags
arizona