Are you willing to die for this sport? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-07-2011   #1

All over, The USA
Paddling Since: 1920
Are you willing to die for this sport?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7179813

This is a piece on Tyler Bradt which many have probably seen. First off let me say I am blown away with the skill and determination of this man to push the limit of what is possible in a kayak. I find his feats very entertaining. Some of the things he said in the interviews struck me as very odd and somewhat disturbing.

The first would be when he said, "I am willing to die for this sport." What does that mean? Is whitewater kayaking some greater cause for humanity? That is such a bold statement. Most times in history when someone says I am willing to die for… it is normally in the pursuit of a great purpose or to help further a cause with their death. What would Brad's death do for this sport? What other athlete has said I am willing to die for my sport or hobby. This doesn't make sense to me. Its one thing to not fear death but it's another to embrace it so much that you forgo all precautions and actually pursue death. There are soldiers that have fought in battle and they go out knowing that they will not return alive. People have died for many causes some good and some not but what would be accomplished by his death. I think he should reconsider the statement he made in that he is willing to die. It's one thing to not be afraid of death however he seems to be looking for it.
At the end of the clip his mother had genuine sorrow in her voice when she spoke of her son. It was a sad moment to see a mother that truly feared for her son’s life knowing that it was his decision to pursue kayaking at a level that most consider too dangerous. His good friend and respected kayaker Lane Jacobs said, "He assesses the risk and finds it to be lower than 99.9% of the rest of the world." What does this say about Bradt? Is he not only the best kayaker in the world but perhaps has insight to evaluate risk that most others do not? I don't mean to come off harsh towards him. I believe that he is doing what he really wants and loves however I have never heard someone say things like this.

It seems he is not only pursuing something he loves but he is pursuing death. No doubt he loves what he does but he seems to do so selfishly. If or when he dies kayaking his parents will no doubt be proud of him and know he pursued his passion, however he did so at the cost of his life which his loved ones have to bear the consequence. He assesses risk based on whether he will break him self or die but what about considering the ones you leave behind? He ended the movie by saying, "I am not going to risk the chance of not living for not dying." Is that what the rest of us do? Are we not living because we don't risk our lives as much as he does? We all have different comfort levels for doing risky tasks and Bradt's is at a level above everyone else. I guess my question would be can you not still "live" your life and not risk it at a level that 99.9% of the world views as too much or too dangerous. Life is about balance and he obviously doesn't consider his loved ones when trying to live his life. I will sit back and cheer and say how ski was that as he goes bigger and bigger but I think it will be very sad if he does one day die for this sport.

asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011   #2

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The thing is that it is his life. He can do what he wants. We all have to die, why not do it for something you love and enjoy? He's pushing the limits and living life. Like he said "I'm not going to risk not living over the risk of dying."
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #3
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
It's him

Hate to break it to you, but "to each their own".

It would be like trying to tell someone their religion, trust or faith is wrong. You can't argue with what someone believes.

And, at the level he's playing, you really do have to believe it. If not you're out of focus and don't belong there.

Met Tyler a few times and he always came across more excited about life than just about anyone in the room. Different than the read.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011   #4

All over, The USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskoe23 View Post
The thing is that it is his life. He can do what he wants. We all have to die, why not do it for something you love and enjoy? He's pushing the limits and living life. Like he said "I'm not going to risk not living over the risk of dying."
I kayak class V and realize too that I could die in my pursuit of living my life. I realize that his comfort level is much greater than almost everyone else however I have never heard someone say before running a rapid, "I might die on this one but I will die for my sport." That is too far in my opinion. Tha't all.
Old 11-07-2011   #5

All over, The USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Hate to break it to you, but "to each their own".

It would be like trying to tell someone their religion, trust or faith is wrong. You can't argue with what someone believes.

And, at the level he's playing, you really do have to believe it. If not you're out of focus and don't belong there.

Met Tyler a few times and he always came across more excited about life than just about anyone in the room. Different than the read.
I have no doubt he is excited for life and a great guy... You can argue with what someone belives it is done every day and I am doing it right now. It doesn't make me right or wrong but you can still argue. I want to point out that I just think from this video he came across as being somewhat reckless in his pursuit of living. Perhaps that's not the case but from the video it came across that way to me. And like you said, to each his own. I'm not trying to be right here I am just expressing an opinion. Did you wathch the part where his mom had tears in her voice? I thought that was kinda sad.
Old 11-07-2011   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
its a postive mindset let it be what it is.i feel the same way. someplaces would be better to die in if that time does come.. its not something we are ashamed of admiting the posibilities are alot higher than most think.. the risks are calculated not much more complex than the average rapid because these guys have experience. thats the one thing that sets them apart. he had a close call when he was 15 that is stout itself. hes ready when the time comes cause its happiness that has set his life on the current path so it doesnt matter what happens.. not like hes commiting suicide, hes winning
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #7

Louisville, Colorado
It is his life to live. And it is his death to die, may it come later rather than sooner.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I would rather die running the shit than talking it on the interwebz
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #9

All over, The USA
The more heroin you do eventually you die but hell to each his own.
Old 11-07-2011   #10

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
What Carvedog said...Ditto....Ditto