Are you a board surfer? Fun game link inside. Win trip to Fi - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-14-2003   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Are you a board surfer? Fun game link inside. Win trip to Fi

I use to surf a lot and still hit the web pages for surfer and surfing. Anyway i found a cool game that is like Fantasy Football only you pick the winner of the Van's Triple Crown that begins in two days (due to small surf). Go pick 8 team members for under 10 mill. You get the most points, you go to Fiji!

hobie

http://65.54.246.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?...2fsignup%2easp

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
hobie -

the link didn't work...

matt
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003   #3

Try this. Sorry
h
http://www.asgfantasy.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2003   #4

i kayak surf a lot since i live in florida. most surfers get upset with me because i'm not a "real" surfer. but its tons of fun. kinda scary when u paddle out beause u cant duck dive the waves u have to go over everyone. but its still fun.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003   #5

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Adam, have you any advice for those of who are just starting, or never been, ocean kayak surfing? I'll be trying it for the first time over Christmas and New Year's this year. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Aaron
Old 11-16-2003   #6

advice

When you can, stay CLEAR of board surfers. Especially at very localized spots. When "sharing" waves with surfers, rider closest to the peak has priority. Make sure you are aware of surfers that also may be paddling out when taking waves (don't run them over). Remember your advantage with the paddle and boyance of the boat and don't be a wave hog that takes every peak because you can. Someone at some point will give you shit. Promise. I have board surfed for 20 years and kayak surfed for 9. Santa Cruz= you will get slugged eventually, a nice beach break down 100 yards from the pier in St. Augustine = good to go all day. The better you are about priority and the more etiquette you use the better it is. As for catching them it is very, very easy. Big steep waves in spud boats = massive air. Oh, and green wave surfing is the goods. Foam pile cartwheels are for the river. Have fun.

h
Old 11-16-2003   #7

Snowmass, Colorado
Thanks Hobie, I'll keep surf ettiquite on top priority, and cartwheels to a minimum. Curious, am I gonna get thrashed, circulated and just pushed around by the wave when I go over...like when body surfing, or will I just get thrashed and run over by the wave with an opportunity to roll afterwards? Guess what I'm really asking is whether I should expect to be swimming my gear back to shore after each attempt or not. Might be a bit chilly if I'm swimming much.
Old 11-17-2003   #8

If you are not a good roller then yes, many swims. Try to find a small rip or area where there is a break in the action (reefs have channels, sand bars sometimes have lull areas) people say rips are dangerous. Yes, when swimming. Paddling out they will help pull you out. To exit paddle parallel to the beach. They are narrow. If you see you are going to take a BIG on the deck hit from a wave, paddle hard at it and try to push over or thru with a last strong stroke. At impact try to get forward. This will drive you forward as well as protect your skirt from imploding. Another point. Have a good skirt,. one with an implosion bar is nice.

hobie
Old 11-18-2003   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
another hint for paddling through waves:

come to it at a 11:00 or 1:00 angle, then take a sweep stroke over it....careful though, if you lean back when you stroke over the wave, your stern will engage...sweeping over the wave is a little easier than paddling straight through it...

if you do get caught inside and the foam pile catches you, just treat it like a hole and surf it up or surf it across to get back out...

wish i were at the beach!

matt
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003   #10

Snowmass, Colorado
Again, thanks for all the info. I post a trip report when I get back, but I still have to leave!! Don't expect anything 'till after the first of the year.

Aaron