Are Duckies Dorky? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-13-2008   #1

Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Are Duckies Dorky?

Was skiing at Wolf Creek in Aprilí05 when some guys I was riding the lift with were saying they found it weird they had their skiís and boats in the truck at the same time. So I went online the next week and ordered an Aire IK but felt sorta silly when I got out there and found out they were called duckies. But I did Brownís my 3rd day out and pretty much every Class III this side of I-70 in CO and NM the first two summers I paddled. I can do a IV- rapid but not a continuous IV- run. Iím trying to surf some but I still suck. So I see all the gay duckie and dorky wussie stuff and its all good. Its just gonna make me paddle harder. And if you can give me any pointers on surfing and getting good enough to do continuous Class IV- Iíd love to hear it.

southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008   #2

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
when ever I would surf those bad boys I would end up like wrapping my arm around the downstreem tube and could get pretty much verticle in the thing, then i baught a shredder.
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What's dorky is standing on the side of the river, or sitting on your couch, because you're too worried about looking dorky to go shred it!

Inner tubes are dorky, anything with a paddle blade is definitely NOT dorky.

Maybe I should change my siggy for all you guys worried about looking cool? Something like "It takes a studly man to carry my pursue"? Nah, no one would get it. Go shred it, in anything, in the next thing, then the next. You got a boat of any sort, use it!

Remember, the eddy below the muffin rock in Hance in the GC is called "the duck pond". Nothing dorky about Hance.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
...yes
Old 11-13-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellman View Post
...yes
That would come from someone living in "Montana's Boulder (CO)". Must be a newby! Or else a newby's baby?

SB, ignore the testosterone addicts - boat in whatever you have fun in.
Old 11-13-2008   #6

oh yeah
they're up there with mopeds and snowblades. but at least you're getting after it.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
not just the duckier is dorky.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
What's dorky is standing on the side of the river, or sitting on your couch, because you're too worried about looking dorky to go shred it!

Inner tubes are dorky, anything with a paddle blade is definitely NOT dorky.

Maybe I should change my siggy for all you guys worried about looking cool? Something like "It takes a studly man to carry my pursue"? Nah, no one would get it. Go shred it, in anything, in the next thing, then the next. You got a boat of any sort, use it!

Remember, the eddy below the muffin rock in Hance in the GC is called "the duck pond". Nothing dorky about Hance.
I agree at least your getting after it. But I disagree with inner tubes being dorky. Tubing is about as hard core as you can get. I was running Upper Boulder Creek in with nothing but swim trunks and shoes before I ever considered getting a boat and wearing rudimentary safety equipment.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
I agree at least your getting after it. But I disagree with inner tubes being dorky. Tubing is about as hard core as you can get. I was running Upper Boulder Creek in with nothing but swim trunks and shoes before I ever considered getting a boat and wearing rudimentary safety equipment.
Yeah, and I tubed one or two times in a previous life. But in hindsight, you still think tubers aren't dorks? You must have different ones that us. Tubing is just NOT the sport it was when I did it. We were COOL tubers, not like the ones you see today. They're just a bunch of partying river-unsafe morons. Wait, maybe I'm talking about hard shell kayakers here? Or maybe tubers are just snowboarders in the summer?

Sheesh, I gotta get some work done and get off this forum for the day!
Old 11-13-2008   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Depends on the paddler......

My wife paddles an Aire "Force" that has thigh straps and a rigid foam floor. It's super maneuverable, surfs pretty well, and I've rolled it successfully several times, although she hasn't tried. She's paddled all of the S. Fork Payette, including the upper Canyon. She's done the Selway, Lochsa, most of the Grand Canyon, Granite Creek, the upper Gros Ventre, the Mishawaka & Bridges on the Poudre, and catches eddies better than most intermediate hard-shell kayakers. She just can't get her head around being upside down banging down the river, but she's willing to fall out of that thing and climb right back in it in moving water. I got in it for kicks at the local slalom race once, and took 4th place in the Men's class against regular kayaks. It's not the duckie's fault if it doesn't have a competent driver.
Duckies/IK's are only dorky if you don't get the skills to handle yourself on the river in the first place. Learn how to be an asset out there, and not a liability. My wife and her duckie have rescued many a swimming kayaker. Try telling one of the Snyder brothers that IK's are gay, right after they've landed a 20footer in one standing up..........