apprehensive about July MF trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2011   #1

cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
apprehensive about July MF trip

I have a chance to float Middle Fork of the Salmon July 14. I feel really comfortable handling class 3's. We don't have a guide, we are going to have food flown in after 2 days on the river so the first 2 days we real be light on the river. Am I over my head on this trip?

rti50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If you have to ask that question, I think the answer is self-evident.
The issue isn't just the grade of whitewater. It's the depth of the Middle Fork wilderness and the issues if things go wrong.
I would strongly suggest trying to get someone on board with your trip who has done it before, and then have them help you plan it.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #3

Ward, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I did it at ~2 feet a few years ago and the water felt more like class III than class IV, by mid July the flows will be on the lower side, but you are pretty committed so you have to ask what exactly are you apprehensive about? \

You can easily scout everything.

I'll be your guide
jrutkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
stay away. you will have a ridiculous good time and then go home and tell all your friends and pretty soon I won't even be able to get a cancellation.

There are only a handful of class 4 moves at that flow. there will be 'adventures' for sure. but most are easily survivable. Velvet, Lake Creek and Redside will all be good excitement.

It sounds like you have been invited on something with another boat??

Give me a few more details and I will try to help you make a rational decision.

Is it a group?
How many?
What rigs?
No one has seen it before?
What and where do you boat?
What's the hardest thing you have run?
Rescue experience or training?
What gear?

It never sucks to be lighter. I have gone off the top fully loaded, 16 footer at 1.5 for eight days. Two people and a dog. Yes I would have loved a flyin for food and beer. Mid July on a good water year you should have a pretty great flow - 2.5 to 3 feet is a guess. if budget isn't a big deal and you want the horse shoes, 2nd fire pan and six cases of beer flown in to Indian - great idea. I can help you with suggestions on this more when I have a sense of your trip size etc.

Also keep in mind that 3-4 outfitters and 2-3 privates will be launching the same day. I don't know of anyone that has ever passed by someone in a rescue situation on that river.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #5

pocatello, Idaho
I assume you are a kayaker??????

I largely agree with the later comments- 2.5-3' on the gauge sounds right. There are only a handful of real moves. Everything should be pretty easy if you can 1) ferry with confidence 2) get in and out of eddies without thinking about it 3) read the liedecker book.

You have a huge advantage over rafts. They have to lumber down wider channels and get stuck on rocks. you can slip through anything. you should be able to practuially paddle upstream above all major rapids and scout/reposition/get out with no problems whatsoever.

Also keep this in mind---- at 2.5' commercial groups let beginners run it in duckies.
They swim now and then but (knock on wood) the MF doesn't have killer rapids. There aren't many strainers or undercuts. The holes are not drowning machines.

People that die are generally a combination of 1) older with cardiac conditions 2) on june high water trips 3) make at least 2 questionable decisions on the trip in a row.

You have several months between now and then. Go paddle, surf, roll, get in over your head on a day stretch. With a longer trip (6-7 days) you have all the time in the world to scout, hike and get comfortable with a rapid before committing. In a kayak you can even portage, though no one ever does that i have heard of.

Do not pass up the MF.

worst case scenario you paddle 99% of the river and throw your kayak on a raft for 3 of the drops.

That being said there are HEAPS of salty veterans who could help ease the process considerably and having one along is not a bad idea.

If you are a rafter--- you do need some skills to make it go smoothly. get on bony rivers and learn to spin, slip, slide, squeeze and boogie. learn to back ferry, learn to push through laterals. There is no reason someone with a little free time and a boat can't be ready for the MF with the time you have available.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91

^^ best MF Salmon Vid ever^^ I think there will plenty on H2O. the melt really has started and there is a ton of snow. I feel a long cold spring coming. I'm on June 29th and I'm thinking there will a bunch of water. If you don't go for it you will always wish you did!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post

^^ best MF Salmon Vid ever^^ I think there will plenty on H2O. the melt really has started and there is a ton of snow. I feel a long cold spring coming. I'm on June 29th and I'm thinking there will a bunch of water. If you don't go for it you will always wish you did!

good vid with some river view shots for sure. Doesn't mention Lake Creek, which will be one of their biggest opportunities for carnage. Or Cove Cr. must have been made before. Funny it didn't mention Haystack at all either and I have certainly seen some interesting runs in that rapid.

just noticed your "Capt. No Scout". Funny, I hate to scout too. As in it's been a long time. Doesn't mean I am great, just lazy. And I hate the way scouting gets you all nerved up.

You aren't going with Nate from Boise are you? I think he launches June 29 too.
Old 04-15-2011   #8
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
good vid with some river view shots for sure. Doesn't mention Lake Creek, which will be one of their biggest opportunities for carnage. Or Cove Cr. must have been made before. Funny it didn't mention Haystack at all either and I have certainly seen some interesting runs in that rapid.

just noticed your "Capt. No Scout". Funny, I hate to scout too. As in it's been a long time. Doesn't mean I am great, just lazy. And I hate the way scouting gets you all nerved up.

You aren't going with Nate from Boise are you? I think he launches June 29 too.
Not going with that group. A friend out of McCall (alexus) drew a permit. A bunch of us went in. she drew. There are pleanty of place to get upside down for sure and Haystack is one for sure.

You nailed it "Cpt No Scout - Doesn't mean I am great, just lazy. And I hate the way scouting gets you all nerved up." The longer I scout the more worked up I get.. I know where I need to be, so lets just roll the dice.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #9

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post

that's funny you mention Lake Creek. When I first did the MFS it was about two weeks before the Lake Creek blowout that caused the logjam that ruined a lot of trips.

Last time they warned us to scout Lake Creek. I was at the back of the group and watched 3 craft flip ahead of me, nervously shot the hole, and had to take Pistol Creek (with big log across it) with a person I picked up along the way while chasing down an upside down gear boat. Good times!!!
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
that's funny you mention Lake Creek. When I first did the MFS it was about two weeks before the Lake Creek blowout that caused the logjam that ruined a lot of trips.

Last time they warned us to scout Lake Creek. I was at the back of the group and watched 3 craft flip ahead of me, nervously shot the hole, and had to take Pistol Creek (with big log across it) with a person I picked up along the way while chasing down an upside down gear boat. Good times!!!
Well that certainly sounds exciting. I seem to be able to miss that hole but there has been lots of interesting things happen here my last couple of trips. I love when I am walking back up for safety and pics and start seeing shit float by.

I did get to see two cats flip right in front of me in Velvet. I told these guys ( at 4.5 feet) to go hard left but not too early or they hit the rebound wave coming off the rock or to go hard right in that seam over there.
But...do not go center left. Steepest part of the whole.

Center left both of them.