This could potentially be great for certain trips 9 33.33%
No, I don't see anyone paying for this 14 51.85%
Unsure 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2016   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
App for drone mapped river & creek runs

I'm looking for feedback and ideas on a potential new venture for our company. The plan is to develop an app as a platform to provide low altitude aerial "tour" or "scouting" videos/maps of river and creek runs filmed by our drones.

This could include features like pointing out different Rapids and known hazards in the video, as well as show the current flows and the flow when filmed.

I think this could be great for planning trips or deciding whether to run a certain section as it's the one thing missing from websites like American Whitewater.

There are a lot of variables, such as: What flows to film certain runs, obviously you would still need to scout harder runs for hazards but this would give you the basic idea of the runs difficulty, main features, and overall fun factor. Which runs are popular enough to film. As well as potential cost structure i.e: pay per map, freemium model, subscription.

If this is something you could potentially find value in using, please let us know what you would like to see in the app and on the flights as well as any thoughts you might have, thanks!

RMBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I think you should keep the stupid little helicopters out of the river corridors. First time one buzzes over me I'm gonna whack it with my paddle.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
First off they wouldn't be flown within your "whacking range". Just because there's a bunch of idiots flying their toy drones everywhere and annoying you doesn't mean that there's not legitimate uses for this technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016   #4

Are you sure your not one of the idiots?
Toshkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
App for drone mapped river & creek runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshkya View Post
Are you sure your not one of the idiots?

Troll somewhere else please. This thread is for legitimate feedback not for people wasting their lives. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016   #6

Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
I think you'll get lots of responses like that with this idea. Sorry. Most people would rather find out the old fashioned way what a river is like. Its not like there isn't video of almost every run out there as it is. How much more beta do we need? Guidebooks, websites, online gauges, vimeo, youtube, blogs, verbal. On the other hand its always cool to see a new river. I just wouldn't expect anyone to pay for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #7

Bailey, Colorado
Drones are neat tools, and have great possibilities. Just keep them the hell out of wild areas.
Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoater View Post
Troll somewhere else please. This thread is for legitimate feedback not for people wasting their lives. Thanks!
This thread is based on people wasting their lives. You're wasting your life with your remote control toys and I'm wasting my life discussing it. Anyone reading it is wasting their life too.

Also, removing Carbondale from your profile and being a new poster makes you look like the troll.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #9

Interesting idea, but as you have already gotten some negative feedback perhaps not an easy sell for private boaters. I also am curious about the legality of drones in wilderness areas since they don't allow motors. Maybe a better idea would be focusing on commercial trips and giving tourists a video of their run down a rapid. I think you could make money on that.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
The legality can be be covered in most areas through FAA exemptions, COA's, and letter's from the forest service or other land managers. The point isn't to buzz or annoy people in the wilderness. This would be a single flight from a safe altitude.

I realize there's a lot less potential with hardcore boaters however there's a lot of people getting into these sports and a easy way to verify a runs difficulty could be useful to newer boaters.

Yes, there is a lot of data on runs out there already. However, the gopro views from boats are less than ideal compared to a stabilized aerial video. There's also several people looking into drone videos of commercial rafting trips but there's a lot of variables such as liability and proximity to boaters. Thanks guys!