Anyone want to hit the Source tonight? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2005   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Anyone want to hit the Source tonight?

My regular crew is tied up and I'm psyched to get in there- I can't be up there until about 6pm, so there probably won't be a lot of time for pre-scouting anything but a quick look at the Slots gorge & Dead Hiker. As such, probably best if you've been down it before.

Anyone?

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Sorry to rain on your parade, but keep in mind the actual flow in the source is a little less than half of what shows up at the gauge. So if the gauge is at 150, your looking at boating on less than 75 CFS. My personal minimum is 250-300 at the gauge for the source, but that's just me.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
With the temps today it'll be be over 200 cfs by 7pm -that's somehow been plenty of water in the past. It's not "high water" by any stretch, but plenty fun. In my experience, it depends on what's flowing down Jasper- you don't know until you get up there and check it out.

Here's a thought- if your 'personal minimum' is 250, then don't go.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005   #4

Yo Brian! What's up? I called and left you a message last week, did you get it? We need to get up. I would definetly be into running the source tonight. I think it will be running. I have not hear of anyone going down yet this year so it needs to be thoroughly scouted. I think I have pulled new wood out every year for the past 5 years. Usually it is not in the major rapids. There is a bunch of snow up there so getting down to the creek bed and scouting will be difficult. Please do not take a yearly first d of this lightly. As of 2 weeks ago you could not get anywhere close to the put in without hiking so I would not be into that because I can't get there untill 7:30 or 8:00. If someone it willing to give it a good scout I would be into running tonight. As a side note.... the source will usually carry more than 50% of the water early in the year. The Jasper drainage is more elevated and tends to start running later in the summer.

sean
slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #5

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I was thinking about going up there and doing some cleaning tonight in anticipation of runnable flows this weekend. If anyone wants to meet me up there I have a 4x4 to bust through some snow drifts and get closer to the run maybe...
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #6

something is stinky in Boulder.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005   #7

I will meet you up there tonight if you want. It may not be until 7:30 or 8:00, but we could still get a good scout and pull out any wood. Hopefully I can get there sooner but I will let you know. 720-841-6209
slee is offline   Reply With Quote