anyone taken the roll class through Alpine Quest? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-05-2009   #1

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
anyone taken the roll class through Alpine Quest?

Fellow Boaters,

I am a newer boater and still have not quit gotten my roll down. I've been to the pool about 6 times. I am getting very frustrated with swimming and i have made it a personal goal to peg my roll before the season fizzles out. I am thinking about taking the roll class through Alpine Quest in Edwards, CO. Has anyone taken this class? Any other lady paddlers done this? Was it helpful / worth the cost? Thanks!

Pilot_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey there. Sorry, I don't live over there so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions on how that class is but you may try going to ten mile kayaks (in frisco) and ask who they recommend. Matty is the owner and nice guy and I'm sure can point you in a good direction.
I just wanted to respond you offer a little support. The roll was the hardest part BY FAR for me. I finally abandoned the c to c roll and got up with a sweep...not that I really meant to...just happened. After I got comfy with the sweep I was able to put better effort into the C to C. I suppose the sweep leaves you more exposed but, F*, I was TIRED of swimming! I have a solid roll now, and still swim....guess we all do..."we're all in between swims," right?
Good luck and hang in there. Once you have a solid roll the fun just gets BIGGER AND BIGGER!
Hope the ten mile Kayaks suggestion pans out!
Be well,
Beth
Old 09-05-2009   #3

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Alpinequest is great.

As for the donut hole, Black Holes would never have been discovered if people had only looked for the presence of light and not the absence of light.

Keep keepin on.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009   #4

Dillon, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
Hey there. Sorry, I don't live over there so I can't offer much in the way of suggestions on how that class is but you may try going to ten mile kayaks (in frisco) and ask who they recommend. Matty is the owner and nice guy and I'm sure can point you in a good direction.
I just wanted to respond you offer a little support. The roll was the hardest part BY FAR for me. I finally abandoned the c to c roll and got up with a sweep...not that I really meant to...just happened. After I got comfy with the sweep I was able to put better effort into the C to C. I suppose the sweep leaves you more exposed but, F*, I was TIRED of swimming! I have a solid roll now, and still swim....guess we all do..."we're all in between swims," right?
Good luck and hang in there. Once you have a solid roll the fun just gets BIGGER AND BIGGER!
Hope the ten mile Kayaks suggestion pans out!
Be well,
Beth
Thanks for the advice, i know Matti and his shop very well. I bought all of my gear from him, good guy who knows what he is talking about. i have done a few roll sessions with him but he is only one guy and alot of people demand his attention at those things. i am hoping if i get some solid one-on-one instruction i can finally nail that dang roll. Thanks again, happy boating to you!
Pilot_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #5

Avon, Colorado
I went through Alpine in Edwards, as well as everyone I paddle with. Very good people over there.

They have very good instructors. I learned my roll the first try after they showed me how.

Would highly recommend!!

Definatly worth it.

**Oh yea, my old room mate also learned to roll from the same classes...She seemed to pick it up pretty well. Female paddlers are at no dissadvantage in these classes as I know of several that took em and paddle very well now**
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #6
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
why even teach the c to c... its hard as hell to a beginner and even though i can do it i find myself still with the sweep... if you have spent this much time in the pool and no one has started you on a sweep then everyone youve gone too maybe useless...i paddled for years before i could actually nail a c to c... the sweep is more fluid and more natural...remember turn the throttle down and dont lift your knee too soon... and all your trying to do is get the boat under your ass... have fun and i hope you get it... if not my friend who taught me my roll might work with you... i had a slow beginning too... i found that some of the best teachers can be found at the play waves... go get thrashed and they tend to lend advice...
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #7

Avon, Colorado
I really enjoyed the roll classes i've taken through alpine quest.

Being an instructor myself i can easily spot someone who knows how to teach others to the STUDENTS learning types. They also helped with each individual and specific problems they had, such as the shrapnel in my shoulder making it impossible for me to C to C.

They recently finished their re certification and are now teaching a new modified sweep where you dont even have to have the paddle out of the water. This roll worked greatly for my injuries and after a while with them, and some practice on my own in Avon lake I'm very happy with my roll success.

All in all a great experience. I see the instructors all over the place, from the upper C to Shoshone and they remember me and always ask how my progress is going. Good people, great price... cant ask for much more.
Old 09-07-2009   #8

glenwood springs, Colorado
I totally recommend eric jackson's roll dvd ... i bought it and haven't swam since!! ) I'm a killer coach too, so if you wanna swing down to gws i'd be more than happy to teach you to roll in an eddy somewhere! in the meantime, work on that brace, it really isolates the hip snap.
10grtkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #9

totally biased ; )

Hey! Katie here from Alpine Quest! Pilot_Sam, come and check us out. We'll get you rolling! : ) DragonUSMC, hope you're doing well! Glad to hear you're getting out there and putting that pretty roll to use! Have a great labor day weekend!
yo mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnature View Post
As for the donut hole, Black Holes would never have been discovered if people had only looked for the presence of light and not the absence of light.

I love the quote randomnature.

I would suggest some "professional" advice. Roll classes are well worth it. You could just be doing one little thing wrong that someone could point out for you.

Just keep on trying. You will get it.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roll class alpine quest