anyone seen the middle fork lately? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2008   #1

driggs, Idaho
Paddling Since: 91
anyone seen the middle fork lately?

has anybody heard about or seen the middle fork of the salmon recently? (i know its raging and still rising). i'm curious as to what this high water is going to do for the trees in the lake creek maw.
thanks

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
has anybody heard about or seen the middle fork of the salmon recently? (i know its raging and still rising). i'm curious as to what this high water is going to do for the trees in the lake creek maw.
thanks
got a friend coming off yesterday or today and I am sure I will get a report. as of last week everything in Lake was the same as last year more or less.

8.something this morning. Pretty exciting stuff. You have a trip coming up?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There has been some discussion on the idahowhitewater forum. I think that's your best bet for info. It will be highly discussed as the TR's come in.

idahowhitewater : Idaho Whitewater
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008   #4

driggs, Idaho
Paddling Since: 91
it might be too early to see if trees have been moved. as of last fall- lake creek still had a HUGE standing pondorosa at the entry and 3 more further down on right... hopefully everything will be cleaned out with this high water.
i'd love to hear any beta. i've got 8 (at least) trips there this summer.
thanks
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
it might be too early to see if trees have been moved. as of last fall- lake creek still had a HUGE standing pondorosa at the entry and 3 more further down on right... hopefully everything will be cleaned out with this high water.
i'd love to hear any beta. i've got 8 (at least) trips there this summer.
thanks
I used to guide for MFRT, who are you working for?
TRs that I read last week indicated all trees were still in Lake Creek. Of course three or four days of almost 8 foot water could have changed all that.
Old 05-21-2008   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Might have peaked at 8.52 at 8:30 this morning... Launching Sunday on Marsh... I'll post when I'm back at a computer following the trip. Forecast is showing it should be down in the 6' range, but who knows. Rain is forecast for the next 10 days.

No TR on IdahoWhitewater as of yet.

carvedog - I'd love to hear a report when you get it.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Might have peaked at 8.52 at 8:30 this morning... Launching Sunday on Marsh... I'll post when I'm back at a computer following the trip. Forecast is showing it should be down in the 6' range, but who knows. Rain is forecast for the next 10 days.

No TR on IdahoWhitewater as of yet.

carvedog - I'd love to hear a report when you get it.

Laurie
I am waiting to here from Ted. They might have turned the corner which would put them taking out the next day or two. They should have been off the MF part on Sunday. I know they did take a sat phone and promised to send out an alert on any serious hazards beyond the kazillion logs on the edge of the river.

No word, so that is good news.

Be careful out there. I will send along any updates that I receive. Always good to check with the rangers on Friday before you launch. Rick is working at FS HQ for the MF and he is a great guy to get some info from. The other rangers are really helpful too.
Old 05-22-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Had some friends come off day before last. Don't have a full report yet, but they didn't mention any wood issues (They knew about the wood in dagger and the log downstream before their trip). They did have carnage and lost 6 oars. Even more sadly three oars came off a truck driving back to Colorado. So if you found some oars on the road side let me know.

They had the river at 8.2 or 8.3 for their last two days. Sounds epic. I will post more when i get the full story.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote