Anyone run the Selway over 6'? 8'? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Anyone run the Selway over 6'? 8'?

We are launching on Wednesday and right now the Selway is at about 8' and rising. Looking for beta. I have heard that above 6' (at paradise) that it gets fairly epic. Right now the forecast is for the river to peak a bit shy of 10' with a flow of about 35,000 cfs at Lowell.

Correlation chart for Lowell flows to feet at Paradise: Water Conditions for River Runners

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009   #2

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I know of a group of kayakers that ran the Selway at 9 feet in the late 70's or early 80's. Their trip was written up in a whitewater magazine afterwards.
Epic would be an understatement! One of them had his skirt blown, swam in Ladle, lost his boat and had to hike out to the takeout, all the while the rest of his group thought he drowned.
DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #3
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Selway survival run!

Yep, ran two years in a row above 6ft, 11 yakers three rafts, ranger showed up to informs us of the risk but could not tell us not to go. Two other groups bailed, we did not. Trouble came in the first 6 miles, one wrapped raft in log jam and one eject oarsperson in another raft that got stuck on rock mid river. we had to draw straws to replace oarsperson's first nite in camp. Yakers had to get to camps ahead of rafts with readied throw lines to get them into camp, NO eddies.
Only river I can remember scouting that while standing on the bank looking out at entry the wave volume was over my head, very cool.
It still was a great trip, flood stage and still crystal clear water.absolutely beautiful forest. Don't swim!
make sure all trip peps are aware of what they are getting themselves into!
Have fun, it's an adventure for sure.

We had drownings both years in Ladle on trips behind us and in front of us!
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009   #4

Bavailia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
Yep, ran two years in a row above 6ft, 11 yakers three rafts, ranger showed up to informs us of the risk but could not tell us not to go. Two other groups bailed, we did not. Trouble came in the first 6 miles, one wrapped raft in log jam and one eject oarsperson in another raft that got stuck on rock mid river. we had to draw straws to replace oarsperson's first nite in camp. Yakers had to get to camps ahead of rafts with readied throw lines to get them into camp, NO eddies.
Only river I can remember scouting that while standing on the bank looking out at entry the wave volume was over my head, very cool.
It still was a great trip, flood stage and still crystal clear water.absolutely beautiful forest. Don't swim!
make sure all trip peps are aware of what they are getting themselves into!
Have fun, it's an adventure for sure.

We had drownings both years in Ladle on trips behind us and in front of us!
Oh yes...the most carnage I had ever seen in such a short time...but that is why we will never forget that one! we came, we saw action, we laughed at camp, we would do it again...Bob
tacobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey Raftus,
I have run it at 6 and 6.5. I decided for me personally in a raft that my cut off would be around 20K out the bottom at Lowell. Could be higher in a lightly loaded cat.

We had a good crew of kayakers on the 6.5 trip and had no problems at all. Eddy's were small and hard to catch. We had two cats, three round boats - all very experienced. We also had 11 very experienced yakkers. Several of whom I would call expedition caliber boaters - any conditions, anywhere, any level kind of thing. Made my mind rest easy.

Have you looked at this?

Selway Snow-Stream Analysis | Idaho NRCS
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Howdy, I'm launching June 7 and would appreciate an update when you get off. Good luck, safe boating!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #7

Salida, Colorado
Selway

put on bout 5-7 yrs ago 6 1/2 ft went to 8 then 10 or 12. Huge water
laid up at Moose Creek. Water went up. 2 brotheres from Moscow came thru in empty cats in dry suits. Noone else launched. We cached walked out and flew back in 2 weeks later and finished the float. Our kayakers boated out but were glad we didin't try and run it. Dry suits with neo
and strong safety kayakers I'd say. My 14' self bailer was completely under water about 4-5' in Ham rapid. I'll never forget Holy Smokes biggest wave train of my life.
Old 05-24-2009   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
raftus - if you have to ask... stay home - but I know you can handle it. i think keith can take it too. wish i was going.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #9
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
selway survival run!

So Bobby B, You picked up on that beta after all these years, and knew it was that trip(s)!!!!! Cool............should we share more detail?
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #10

we did it as a kayak self support around that level last spring. rafting seemed like a bad idea. real easy to pick up cancellations though.
ladle has a couple boat-eaters, but the surprises are at double drop and little niagra was not so little. rig to flip and bring a dry suit.
willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote