Anyone row Lower Clear Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2011   #1

Anyone row Lower Clear Creek?

And at what levels? Have done Lawson thru Kermits and want to try something close to home. Have walked or kayaked most of the run and know about the dam. Last year at 650 @ Golden, it looked like it needed just a little more water over the dam for a cat.

Keith, if your back, tell us about the Selway.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011   #2

Going to bump this. Surely someone has rowed Lower Clear Creek.
Looking again tonight at 850 and dam has filled in somewhat.
Now there are two must punch holes, but maybe doable.

Any beta!
Old 06-13-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
It's been years since I rowed it, before the dam changed in 95? In paddle boats we run the right side of the dam but try to get to the left side for the 2nd drop, middle of 2nd drop works with enough water. FYI- It is currently higher then we take customers down, usually stop around 600-700 in Golden. Been down higher for fun, but it was a long time ago, high enough that the guide of another boat hit his head on the dam's bridge. Personally I would rather row the stretch below Kermits, you can go around the big holes, no damn dam and you can make the trip longer by starting upstream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Rich I ran the lower last week and portaged the dam, it is not a user friendly feature.

The far left has a deep vertical ledge hole followed by a smaller but still big ledge hole with a boil line that extends out quite a ways.

I would recommend looking at that before you put in, the rest of the run is super fun.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
Rich I ran the lower last week and portaged the dam, it is not a user friendly feature.

The far left has a deep vertical ledge hole followed by a smaller but still big ledge hole with a boil line that extends out quite a ways.

I would recommend looking at that before you put in, the rest of the run is super fun.
I've been looking at it for years at all flows. Did you portage in an oar rig?
No easy spots that I saw. Do you put in just below Rigor M?
Would love to have a run that close to home.
Old 06-13-2011   #6

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This is the clean way to run the Dam last Friday at 850 CFS. Although the line is a bit tight for a raft or cat probably.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I know Pearen solos that in his cat as an after work run. not sure what levels or if he runs the dam.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #8

I'm looking at this again as the flows come down.

Wouldn't it be great to have a raft run that started just below RM and went to the Golden Play Park? I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes a run that ends at a Brew Pub. I have noticed that I run the Numbers all the way to BV more often since the Eddyline opened, just saying...

The dam does not appear to serve any purpose with the ditch/pipe in total disrepair. Wonder what it would take to do some mid winter cleaning or blasting to create a boat chute? Maybe if every boater in Golden went up over the winter and just moved a couple of rocks? Curious what is the status of the water rights from the dam? Golden is a great town for kayakers and it could be a great takeout for rafters.

Stringinrivers, did you row it in a raft? And how/where did you portage?
Or was it a paddle raft, with 2-6 people?

Dave, Keith does run the dam, not sure at what levels, but Keith ran Lower Narrows on the Poudre @ 5+,
so I'm not sure he is a good example of what is safe and sane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post

Old 07-22-2011   #9

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Rich, if it looks good to you, then go for it; if it doesn't, then don't. You're already not relying on someone else's experience, so why rely on the experience of yet someone else you don't know?

I like the idea of cleaning-up the dam, but only because it's already not the natural lay of the land. There has to be a way of maintaining the diversion without the danger of a damaged low-head dam.
Old 07-22-2011   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthNRG View Post
I like the idea of cleaning-up the dam, but only because it's already not the natural lay of the land. There has to be a way of maintaining the diversion without the danger of a damaged low-head dam.
Not sure if maintaining the diversion is an issue. Seems the ditch/pipe is beyond repair, although water law in Colorado is tricky. And agree that I wouldn't want to alter a natural water feature to create a raftable run, but this is a broken down dam with a low foot bridge.

I'm assuming that they looked into this when they created the play park and there are legal/property issues. Would like to hear from anyone that has more beta on the issue.

But I sure like the idea of a 5 mile Class III (+?) run into town, ending at a Brew Pub. It's a 1.5 mile run putting in below Tunnel #1, marginally worthwhile in a raft.

Tags
cataraft, lower clear creek, lyons creek clinic, row