anyone looked at Escalante in the last couple of days - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-15-2005   #1

Paddling Since: 1993
anyone looked at Escalante in the last couple of days

Hey I am trying to figure out where to go for a good weekend and I was thinking about the drive to New Mexico for the Rio Embudo but then I thought how about Escalante creek and the junction area. So has anyone looked at the gauge and could you let me know if you have.
Thanks

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005   #2

Yeah, I drove up there yesterday morning. It's definately on the rise; the water is super muddy and surge-y, but still not quite high enough. The weather has been nice, but it's gotta stay above about 50 at night up on cottonwood pass for the water to get going.
Maybe another week, maybe less, if it stays nice
Cross yer fingers!
Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #3

If it is close, another day or two might do the trick. Some of the creeks are swinging 50% in a day on the graphs. What do you think Water Man? How close is it? What is your estimated flow now and how much more do you think it needs? Sorry for the desperation, I just really want to run it this weekend.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Slope WaterMan

The weather has been nice, but it's gotta stay above about 50 at night up on cottonwood pass for the water to get going.
Maybe another week, maybe less, if it stays nice
Cross yer fingers!
I think the lows just need to stay above freezing on top for it to get going. If the lows stay above 50 it will go off big.

Thanks for taking the time to drive up there. Keep us posted. Where do you live?
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #5

I'm desperate too. A drive from GJ ain't no big deal.

I usually judge by the flat rock upstream of the bridge. If the ranch ditches aren't open (which they aren't), the amount you see there is what's flowing up above. No need to drive all the way up to 57

It might come up, but I don't know if it will be by tomorrow. I'm driving up there at noon to check, and will give the details tonight.
Dave- I ran Pine Ck. of the Ark and Boulder Ck. when it flooded back in 98 w/ you - you broke your paddle on the Broadway Hole - PM me
Old 04-15-2005   #6

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
western water man---- Ive been driving down there recently as well, but im not sure where to gauge the river, other than going all the way up. Where are you looking for a gauge??

Thanks
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #7

yeah she's running pretty big and pushy, with no sign of going down soon. It came up almost six vertical inches this afternoon.
57 is ALMOST runnable on both sides; the fin is covered and kicking a mean looking rooster tail in the air.
Water Slide trapped my buddy in the nasty eddy/mini room of doom for a good four minutes. Luckily he's OK, just a little shook up. Lost a paddle with one yellow and one orange blade.
More later
Western Slope WaterMan
Old 04-16-2005   #8

Paddling Since: 1993
Coming to Escalante

Sounds like it will be on this weekend! Myself and my buddy leif will be down there this afternoon around 2:30 anybody interested in hooking up for some good old fashion fun and a shuttle to?
Dan
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #9

Anyone interested on Tuesday midday-afternoon? I'm coming from Junction, I can leave by 9:30am.

Josh
720-289-8624
[email protected]
Old 04-16-2005   #10

or Sunday more early than later? or to just go scout. Anyone at all, Ive only run it a couple times at low water, but Im still game, but I need someone who has run it before.