Anyone know of kayaking in Kauai? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2004   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Anyone know of kayaking in Kauai?

I am willing to bring my own boat if I have too... but was curious if anyone has been boating there. Basically curious about what is up around that area... Surf kayaking is fine with me although last time I tried it a considerable beat down insued.

I will be there for a few weeks and have plenty of time to get around.

If you can share any info I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Disclaimer: I've never been to Hawaii.

This topic has been covered a few times here, but one post that really scared me talked about the "lava tubes" where the creeks just dissapear!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #3

Marty,

check the AW website, they have a few HI rivers listed
Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004   #4

Kauai rivers

Just got back from Kauai 2 days ago - I spent some time trying to figure out paddling potential before going but the info was sparse. It definitely helped to have a look around and think about potential runs. As far as I could see, there are a few rivers that have potential - and the AWA website indicates a class IV run through Waimea Canyon.

The rivers are characterized by being completely flat within a few miles of the ocean, then have moderate gradient punctuated by very tall waterfalls for the next few miles inland. Closer to the headwaters the rivers are vertical. Mt. Wai'ale'ale, at 5148 feet, is the wettest spot on earth - and there are waterfalls coming off every aspect.

A few places with potential:

Hanalei River - north side near Hanalei Bay
Kalihiwai River - north / northeast
Wailua River - largest river on any of the islands - east central
Hanapepe River - ? this is on the south side & looks like one of the longer drainages
Waimea River - Southwest side of the island, flows through Waimea Canyon a.k.a the Grand Canyon of the Pacific (this valley is very impressive, especially considering the size of the island. It looks like it should be on the scale of Utah / Arizona rather than an island 30 miles in diameter.) This side of the island is much drier than the east side.

Access to the Waimea River looks like a real challenge, but if you're motivated, there are a few trails to the bottom. You would have to descend about 3000 feet over several miles. Trails are good though, just steep.

You can download the DRG (USGS Topo set) from:
http://www.hinhp.org/website/hawaii/data_kauai.html
and take a closer look at what looks do-able yourself.

The only vessels that I could find for rental are sit on tops - we paddled up the Wailua River to some waterfalls - tough to get the stern under in the eddies though. I recommend stowing a 6 pack on board and renting your own kayak if you do this (rather than guided tour). The place to rent is about a mile north of the Wailua River mouth - left side of the main highway and across the street from the "guided kayak tours" place. It's just past the stoplight.

On the other hand, if I were going back tomorrow I would not hesitate to bring my playboat, or maybe a creeker if I was going to do some exploration. The river volumes weren't very high when we were there - it would probably be kind of a bony run on any of these right now - it wasn't really raining very much. However, these rivers respond very quickly to increased rainfall. The surf is kind of small right now, and I think you would have a great time on the waves. Just be aware of where the reefs are shallow - these places could ruin your day in a kayak if you were to be upside down.

Here's the story of a first decent through Waimea Canyon:
http://www.paddlermagazine.com/news/?ACT=READ&number=71

Also - I saw a number of signs around waterfalls & rivers warning about Leptosporosis. You'll probably want to bring your noseplugs and keep mouth closed going over the big drops.

If you have questions, I'll do my best to provide more specific info. Good luck and have fun. Recommendations: hike the Nuololo Trail & Kalaulau Trail (Na Pali Coast), surf Poipu & Hanalei Bay, snorkel with Turtles at Ke'e Beach.

--Olaf
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #5

Olaf

YOU DA MAN...

Thanks for such a great detailed description. I am heading out on the 22nd for 16 days. Should be real fun. From what I understand, I am going to be mostly kayak surfing. Which is totally fine with me as I don't get much of that around Boulder...

Looks like I am going to ship my Jackson 4fun ahead of me. YEAH DOG.

I only hope the surf stays small. I lived there about 10 years ago and some of that stuff is horrific... especially in a small playboat style kayak.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 10-08-2004   #6

Don't even think about returning to Boulder without some Macadamia Nuts for my ass!!!

Have Fun Dog!
What about boating here in the next week?
D3
dregina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #7

The surfing kayaking is good

I didn't have much luck finding any whitewater that was easily accessible when I was there, but the surfing was amazing. There is a whole range of difficulty depending on what spot you go to. Some are pretty mellow; others you might want a jetski to help you pull in.

Try the bay near Lihue (sorry can't remember the name) for some easily accessible surfing. Its a little shallow though. The pier at Hanilea (sp?) Bay had some good surfing too, when the weather was right.

Have fun, Kauai is really nice
kmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #8

Filmmaker, Colorado
you should also talk to the Aspen Crew- Paul Teft and Charlie MacAuther. I think Charlie grew up in Hawaii and I know they both have done some paddling there, but not sure which island. One of their videos has some cool hawaii paddling footy.

F
brandf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregina
Macadamia Nuts for my ass!!!
uh . . .hmm.
timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #10

Thanks for all the reply's.

D3, I refuse to get you macadamia nuts simply for your ass. Although I will get you some which I am sure will get through there one way or the other...

But Kmind... I would love to know if you had any "ISSUES" with local jackasses hollering to get off their turf type of stuff.

I lived there years ago, but was not a kayaker then. My fond memory is of a local punching a white guy in the face (literally!!) and then breaking the guys surfboard in half. All cuz he wasn't aware of something they considered a big deal. The guy seemed nice enough to me.

Bottom line, I want to get onto whatever I can, but don't want to deal with some local that has 10 of his buddies there with him. 1 on 1... maybe

Tags
kayaking