Anyone know of a good home for old boats? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2008   #1

Anyone know of a good home for old boats?

Hi all,
I've got a couple of old school boats that have been hanging in the garage for the last decade: a Perception Dancer and a Prijon Invader. Does anybody know a some sort of charitable org that might be interested? Both boats are in OK shape - just the normal scratches. They've both got float bags. The dancer has a couple of skirts. They'd be fine for kids on a lake or learning on a river. I hate to just haul them to the dump.
Thanks,
Alan

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There's some group that does boating intro courses for either challenged or terminal kids. I'll try to do some checking and get back to you. Not sure how location would work.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Check out First Descents. I know sometimes they accept gear. I know in the last year or so there was a post of someone starting a kids kayak club, or school program or something that was looking too.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on First Descents. I sent them an email.
I also found a group called Adaptive Adventures for disabled athletes. We'll see if either group is interested... I'll update the thread with any results. I can't be the only one with unused boats hanging in my garage.
alan
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #5

I believe that FD is only taking boats made after a certain year (2000ish). Not 100% on that though.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #6
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
How about for old boaters?

You know old boaters never die. They just get a little dingy.
Old 05-19-2008   #7
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbol View Post
Hi all,
I've got a couple of old school boats that have been hanging in the garage for the last decade: a Perception Dancer and a Prijon Invader. Does anybody know a some sort of charitable org that might be interested? Both boats are in OK shape - just the normal scratches. They've both got float bags. The dancer has a couple of skirts. They'd be fine for kids on a lake or learning on a river. I hate to just haul them to the dump.
Thanks,
Alan
I had a bunch of old boats sitting around my yard and a friend who runs a pre-school asked if she could have two of them for her play area. She took out all the seats, hardware, etc. and has them in her sandbox area. The pre-schoolers love to sit in them and pretend that they are boating. She's asked me for some more.
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dq View Post
I had a bunch of old boats sitting around my yard and a friend who runs a pre-school asked if she could have two of them for her play area. She took out all the seats, hardware, etc. and has them in her sandbox area. The pre-schoolers love to sit in them and pretend that they are boating. She's asked me for some more.
Great idea.

But what's wrong with an Invader?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
where are you located? I may be interested in the dancer. Let me know before you toss them.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
invader

Isn't the Invader the one so in demand for the Green race?Someone might want that boat,it is nice you want to give them to charity,but they use them in the long boat division of extreme races,unless i have it confused with another old school Prijon boat,I have A T-Canyon sometimes they use them.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote