Anyone kayaked the Main Salmon - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2012   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
Anyone kayaked the Main Salmon

Any info on kayaking the main would be greatly appreciated. is it worth the long drive?

melcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
there is a fair bit of flatwater. whether it's worth it or not, depends on what you want.
some fairly large GC style drops and then flat water in between. If you are looking for teh gnarz go hit up the SF Salmon to the Main. That would be fun.

When I raft it I am usually drunk so I don't remember much about the individual features. When I take my kids I will be sober and remember more. Huuuuuggggeeee sandy beaches that created a very hot zone between my shade and my beer cooler on the raft. Syringa will be popping all over the canyon and is an olfactory sensation for sure. One of the best smelling rivers ever.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
What part of the "main" just rolled off indian creek to riggins and averaged 9 mph. Just the fact that I was on the river was worth "it" to me.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999

Kermers (Kramers ?) Rapid on the Main after running the Middle Fork, the only rapid between the confluence and the takeout for the MFS. August 2011, @ 8000 cfs. maybe.

Idaho is freeking EPIC. wish I wasn't 17 hours away.... if that answers anything.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Me and a bud kayaked the main with a couple gear boat rafts along with the goods. We took plenty of time, enjoyed the afternoons in camp waiting till sun went down and it was easy to cook supper. This was a mid august trip and it was hot on the white sand beaches - otherwise it was a mellow laid back trip worth the hi dollar shuttle cost. Next time I go I will take the jet boat shuttle back even tho the cost may be high. Some buds of mine did the jet boat shuttle and said it was a real hoot and excellent way to end a Main Salmon trip.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #6
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
there is a fair bit of flatwater. whether it's worth it or not, depends on what you want.
some fairly large GC style drops and then flat water in between. If you are looking for teh gnarz go hit up the SF Salmon to the Main. That would be fun.

When I raft it I am usually drunk so I don't remember much about the individual features. When I take my kids I will be sober and remember more. Huuuuuggggeeee sandy beaches that created a very hot zone between my shade and my beer cooler on the raft. Syringa will be popping all over the canyon and is an olfactory sensation for sure. One of the best smelling rivers ever.
good answer....!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote