Anyone in Portland have a break and shear? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2013   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Anyone in Portland have a break and shear?

Wanna bend some 16g stainless for a firepan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013   #2

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Too thin it will warp. X break the bottom and reinforce the lip. Don't forget the rotisserie for home use
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think I know what you mean by x break but am not sure. I'm envisioning a bent V in the sheet which shape then X in the bottom, but have no idea how that would get made other than stamped or welded on to stiffen it.

do you have a pic? regarding reinforcing the lip I'm assuming bend 180 degrees onto itself.

I'm trying to avoid making the box out of 0.125" thick as it would weigh a ton. I can maybe make an aluminum frame and then drop in a stainless steel floor. If I don't set the coals near the aluminum it won't melt ...

My normal protocol is to use river sand to insulate and prevent warpage. then subsequent fires I use the recaptured prior ash and sand for this purpose. In the past though maybe it was closer to 13G ...

I don't want to break down and spend $250 on a firepan --- I would really love the dimensions to allow me to place a bunch of miscellaneous water jugs and pelican boxes in the firepan tray and hang it in the bay of my cataraft ... since the dimensions would be large (40" x 24"?) I'd like to avoid anything thicker than 16g ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
When I was growing up, my dad had a horse-packed galvanized steel sheet metal stove that had a double bottom. The air gap between the bottoms got hot--but wasn't as cool as outside air, so the top layer was less likely to warp. Same idea for the bottom layer--it didn't see the intense heat of the coals above.

I should try something similar.

What would be wrong with letting an SS firepan warp? It wouldn't rust!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote