Anyone hit the Piedra yet? 1800 CFS - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2004   #1

Anyone hit the Piedra yet? 1800 CFS

We're heading down Wed. Just checking on ice bridges, etc.

Steve.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Please report back with your info. I was waiting to here from someone who has been down there. Thanks in advance.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004   #3

We hit the Piedra yesterday at about 1300 or so. My first time down. There were no extraordinary hazards other than sunburn and fatigue of 19 miles of class 3. I'm not sure if I would call that run class 4. It was mostly 2-3 with maybe one 4-ish drop, and eye of the needle.
The road to the take out was closed. I think it would be fun with about 5,000 in it, a 90deg. day and a playboat.
Sorry about bitching, I was expecting more, but, it was still a good quality season opener. Don't take UR playboat though.

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks for the info Steve. I'm heading down there on Saturday. I'm still confused

Quote:
I think it would be fun with about 5,000 in it, a 90deg. day and a playboat.
Sorry about bitching, I was expecting more, but, it was still a good quality season opener. Don't take UR playboat though.
Do I want the playboat?
How was the eye of the needle? Just a bump off the rock at this level? When it is above 3000 cfs I usually portage.

Thanks
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004   #5
PJ

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
We ran the Piedra on Sunday. It was at about 800cfs. It was fun to be in the boat again but it was a long day with minimal action. At 800cfs it might be a class 3+ run. I rate it a two star run at this level on a five star scale.

PJ
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #6

ski/kayak bum
Pat,

park tomorrow? 5 o clock or so?

later,

aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am confused. You all who have run it lately from 800 to 1300 are calling it Class 2-3+. CRC2 calls it IV(V) and AW says runnable levels are 500 to 1500 cfs. Something doesn't add up. Who is wrong and what is the real scoop. Is it usually run at much higher flows? Has the "crux geologic rapids" mellowed over the last couple years? If it is a two star run, does it become classic at higher flows or was it never a classic. I have always wanted to do the run and now that I live 1/2 hour (Bayfield) away I was going to check it out.

As a Class IV boater, I was going to find a guide to take me down, now I am thinking I can do it with a rookie group and boat scouting. Am I off base?
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
piedra

It does get busier at higher flows
The upper canyon only has one worthy rapid near the campground
I usually wait till the first fork road opens and run the lower canyon
That puts you in the meat right away but you still have a long II stretch to get out
I take my Godzilla not my playboat at any flow for comfort and piece of mind
The eye does seem to be ever changing I’ve walked it the last few times
Good to hear from another paddler in the bay area
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
2 things- flow and the gate being open.

The Piedra is a long day if you have to boat from above Pagosa, but there's no way around that until the Forest Service opens the lower gate. I have a friend that works that office and she might be able to tell me when the gate might open. Otherwise, you have to deal with 11 miles of casual boating with only one or two decent but benign rapids. Makes for a long day, unless you have high flows. I think it's still worth checking out, just from a scenery factor.

The lower section is fun but it doesn't pop until after 2000 cfs on the guage. After the gate is open, the logistics get a lot easier and it's a decent wilderness play run, in my opinion. If you're a studly V boater who doesn't want to bother with a IIIish run, then skip it. I think it's a classic because it's a free-flowing, beautiful river with a hot spring on the side of the river (at low flows). There are not quite enough big rapids at most flows, but it can get a little spicy in high water. I caught the peak flow in '96 above 3000 and that was a riot. We should see a peak around 2500 to 2900 this year (a guess, if it gets hot quickly) and if you live there you should definitely check it out.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004   #10

Totally agree with el flaco about only paddling the lower section (called First Box because the Spanish explorers were going up river so got to it "first" as opposed to coming downriver which would make it the second box, yada yada yada....) and at higher flows. I also caught it in 96 at about 2000 or higher (it was the first week of July) and it was still a good run as I like the playing on the section below the box. So...it's a good solid IV at higher flows the first couple of miles (box section) and then mellows to playful II-III for another 7 - 8 miles....makes for a nice day.

tomcat
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote