Anyone here run the Tatshenshini? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-30-2009   #1

Professional Transient, See above.
Anyone here run the Tatshenshini?

Buddy of mine just got a permit to run the Tatshenshini (Yukon stuff- Canada launch, Alaska take out) the end of August. I'd never heard of it but have been invited. Has anyone done it? Thoughts? Pointers?

I have to decide between this or playing on the Zam for a few months.

Happy New Year!

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2eelpot View Post
Thoughts? Pointers?

Yeah,invite me. My crew has been talkin about it for some years....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have some friends that have run it. The photos were incredible, spectacular scenery (I mean unbelievable), and when else are you going to get to boat with glaciers and icebergs? It's an expedition, that's for sure, and not big whitewater (Class III tops, and not many), and pretty much like winter boating even in the summer (weather dependent of course).

One of them used to have a website that was a photo journal, but I can't find it now. If you want more information, let me know and I'll see if they're interested in chatting. If you like remote expeditions, you'll probably like the Tat, I don't think opportunities like that come along very often. Getting the permit is one thing, getting a group of people together that can/will do it is another.
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
yes. its good. you should just call me first.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009   #5

Ihowemt- I would absolutely love to chat with your friend about this river. I think I would rather run the Tat vs. spending more time on the Zam due to the whole- when is this opportunity going to arrive again perspective. I can buy a plane ticket and fly to the Zam much more easily than getting another invite on the Tat.

Now, I just have to convince my girlfriend that the whole Africa trip I had convinced her to do? Yeah, just kidding. We need to do this one instead.

Thanks all!
Old 12-31-2009   #6

This is not a whitewater trip, but does take good river sense for safety.

Inland weather is generally good, but as you get closer to the ocean, itís usually wet and cold.

We paid $1100 per person for an eight person trip with minimal gear rental, $3300 for the flight out alone.

Two summers ago several July trips couldnít enter Alsek Lake due to the wall of icebergs. I think thereís been a trend for years of lower river flow which doesnít open a channel into the lake.

The published guide is wrong as far as takeout logistics. You need to arrange a ATV shuttle to the airstrip, since the river channel close by isnít flowing.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I"m guessing you are monitoring the Utahrafters group. Here is a bit of info provided on the site from Jerry Malloy. Apparently, there is more stuff in the files section.

AW Info page: American Whitewater - NWRI - Tatshenshini 2. Dalton Post to Alsek (Dry Bay)

Guidebooks: Cloudburst Productions

2007 trip w/ links: Tatshenshini 2007

2008 trip photos: Picasa Web Albums - Karrie Jo

Bunch of Tat bookmarks: bbing's tatshenshini Bookmarks on Delicious

On bears & pepper spray : Alaska is the magazine of Life on the Last Frontier - Bear Spray, Your Best Defense - Alaska Sportsman

Old Sierra Club trip blog: No river wilder - Tatshenshini River, Yukon | Sierra | Find Articles at BNET

Picture gallery: Tatshenshini River
Old 12-31-2009   #8

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2eelpot View Post
Buddy of mine just got a permit to run the Tatshenshini (Yukon stuff- Canada launch, Alaska take out) the end of August. I'd never heard of it but have been invited. Has anyone done it? Thoughts? Pointers?

I have to decide between this or playing on the Zam for a few months.

Happy New Year!
Go, we did it cold turkey in the mid 70's with map and compass ( for distance and position) in hopes of running it commercialy, camped basically where we wanted too. We pooped in pairs, especially at night, one for a look out with a rifle for sneaky bears. Very, very, very majestic. Happy New Year!
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010   #9

We may have room on the permit. I forget the exact date for the launch, though it's 23 Aug or 24 of Aug. Take out is 3 Sept. Fly out of drydock on 4 Sept. back to Haines. Trip estimate is $1200 per person- includes everything once you step foot out of the car or off the plane in Haines, AK. Much of the logistics have already been outlined.

I am not the TL, though he isn't on the buzz. PM me if interested. He wants $150 deposit by 18 Jan if you're on the trip.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2010   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
the cost seems reasonable, very similar to my last two trips. the slough at drybay will be impossible to enter, requiring help from the locals in shuttling the boats and gear back to the landing strip. be careful of the brown bears at the take out.

this river has it all---other than serious whitewater. my favorite trip of all time, even more special than the gc, because of it's wilderness feel.

kb
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote