Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
http://www.doloreswater.com/Operating%20Plan.htm

Ths is not set in stone, but it does not look good.

As of now they plan to "ramp" it up to 70 cfs for a peak.

THis seems amazingly greedy. The res is only 20 feet down from full right now. They project it filling to within 3 feet of capacity. They plan to release the absolute bare minimum to sustain some form of aquatic life downstream.

A really wet spring could force a release. If I am not mistaken McPhee has no good spillway form the top (or maybe it is just that the fishery doesn't want to lose the warmer surface water), but if it starts to get close they will let a bunch go at once to ensure that it doesn't spill over the top.

Not likely.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #3

Drove by it this w/e, it looks higher than 20'. It is hard to believe that they won't do a release.
I believe there is a group here in SW CO working to allocate some rec flows, it sure would be nice to have a window.
I hit it at it's peak last year, the wildlife was insane and not scared.
Dave hope you and the family are well, you have a 2nd top keep Riley company yet?

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006   #4
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Hey keep us posted on the D, I got a friend who just moved to the trendy, bustling community of Gateway! Wanna get down there if and when it starts runnin! Thank ya kindly
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #5

Hey Flowtorch,
Do you know if it is possible to access Stateline/ Chickenraper rapid without having to run all the way to the Colorado ,avoiding flat water and long ass shuttle?I heard there is a road to it don't know if it is private? I guess you might have to carry back up to the top,anybody know about this?Besides Stateline and Beaver are there any good rapids?
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #6
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Ya know, I dont know. I've never run any of the Dolores. The buddy I referred to has, he never shuts up about chickenraper, I think he just likes sayin the name....who doesn't....chickenraper......just a cool name for a rapid. Next to "Taco Bell presents Chalupa Falls" it's my favorite named rapid. Oh, but no, I dont know about the access road, I'll talk to my pal bout it.
Old 04-03-2006   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I just called "The Man". He said there should be a short release (5 days) in the end of may. Can I get a "Hell Yeah" brothers and sisters. He also said that he would have the whole story, dates and flows after Wed. So check the doloreswater.com site after that.
Old 04-03-2006   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWTORCH
Hey keep us posted on the D, I got a friend who just moved to the trendy, bustling community of Gateway! Wanna get down there if and when it starts runnin! Thank ya kindly
ha ha, its good to see gateway on the rise again. it used to be such a shithole, that new gateway canyons business is sparking new life there.
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #9
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Thats pretty cool.

Yeah Yeti, I dont know what the hell he plans on doin there. He better hope that river runs or he aint got shit to do except boulder. Yeah that Gateway Canyons place is supposed to be somethin else. I met the owner's kid earlier this winter, rode vail for a day with him. He's was a friend of a friend. His old man owns like discovery channel or some shit. Good kid, good kid. Moral of the story is he's got the sickest shuttle rig I've ever seen and it sits parked here in Colorado all year.
Old 04-03-2006   #10

Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
LSB good work. I had heard something of a short release. Good to know that it isn't just me dreamin'. If I found out more down here in rango I will let you guys know.
see ya on the riva,
Johnny
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote