anyone have beta on NF Crystal/Punchbowls etc... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-21-2006   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
anyone have beta on NF Crystal/Punchbowls etc...

Never done um.... and stoked to giterdun!

Thanks!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006   #2

the beta is that both are just sick!
slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #3

Well well... "REPORT JUST IN" The CRYSTAL IS SICK!

OK, while true as true is... that does me as much good as tits on a boar.

Anyone else out there with some specifics on levels (high/low, Bad/Good)

Thanks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006   #4

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
I agree, would love some beta and craw if you head over in the next few weekends I'd be interested in coming along.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I had two friends up there on the NF last weekend and they said it was on the high side. One didn't even get in his boat and the other ran the first 4 drops a couple of times.

It's not my caliber of boating, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been up there before when the Crystal was 800 @ Avalanche and it looked runnable but high. I think CRC may be a little sicko when saying 750-1,000. I'd hazard a guess that a little over 1/3 of the flow at the Avalanche gauge is what you'd have on the NF. The other 1/3 would be Punchbowls-SouthFork and the final 1/3 Yule + other lower tribs.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #6

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
we went up there for the first time last year. i think it was around 550. here's some pics from that day and general beta:

http://www.eddyflower.com/RunDetail.aspx?RunId=12

the first four drops were cool. many people were continuing on and running the whole thing (with a portage or two) but i imagine at the current level (836 at avalanche), the lower gorge might be pretty stoudt.

my guess is that "team cella's" pictures were taken recently. the pics look like drop #2. you can definitely see the difference in water level.

https://mountainbuzz.com/album_page.php?pic_id=1211

either way, i've heard people have been heading up there recently to bag the NF and it's going good. no clue on the punchbowls...never been....if you make it up there, i'd love to hear about it. if it were my call, i'd wait a few weeks. 550 was a pretty darn good flow. kind of low-medium for the upper 4, but almost perfect for the lower, giving you the option to extend the run. it's quite the 4x4 drive to get up there so you really want the ideal flow IMO.

-Bryan
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #7

the level right now for nfc is perfect. we were there last weekend and it was great. you could run it higher or lower depending on your taste.

i have not been to the punch bowls yet this year. in years past i have run them close to this level but not quite this high (i don't think). with higer water you have to put in further upstream (there is wood) to run the punch bowls. last year we were able to put in below the wood (about 600cfs on gage), but still had to run a solid class five entrance rapid before the 1st waterfall. at low water you can put in right at the lip and just boof. my guess is that with support and ropes you could still put in at the lip but it makes the logistics a bit more difficult. its the type of thing where you just have to drive and hike (due to avalanche debirs) up there and check it out for yourself. if you like running good clean waterfalls, it does not get much better. "creatures of habit" has footage is the co section and if you can find the old savage promo video laying around, you can see jason bowerman running them at big water
Old 06-21-2006   #8

my guess is that right now the punch bowls are going to be on the high side of what most people would want to run.

the pics that team cella put up are from last weekend
Old 06-21-2006   #9

Slee and all...

Thanks for the detail. Sounds like 4th weekend is going to nail it this year. Unfortunately I will be out of town, but if they hang on another weekend I would love to get in there.

Thanks guys...
Old 06-21-2006   #10

It's important to remember that the gauge for the upper Crystal runs is hugely a barometer (as already stated). Yule, the South Fork, the North Fork, 3 other smaller creeks with consistent flow, and Avalanche Creek all contribute to the gauge. Point being, a big change on the gauge is a relatively small change in any of the upper runs. I've done NFC with 1200+ at the gauge and barely 450... it wasn't much different.

That being said, its basically a gurantee that you can run either the upper Crystal Gorge or the NFC, (unless the Gorge is too high and the road to NFC is snowed in, but its not). I've done the NFC with 450 on the gauge, and its actually still really good because the Crux is more manageable with the low flow. Same token, the upper Crystal Gorge is really good as well, although juicy, with 450. The inner is commonly run at 350 and down.

That footage of Jason Bowerman in the savage promo is still one of the sickest things I've seen run in CO. The guy rolls up at the lip, and then sticks the rest of the line. That entire promo was as much about colorado as it was about Savage.