Anyone been on the Conejos River yet this season (2008)? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-22-2008   #1

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Anyone been on the Conejos River yet this season (2008)?

All of the descriptions on the Conejos I have read mention possible issues with barbed wire fences. We are considering it as a possibility for this weekend, but are a bit gunshy of possible fences.

Anybody have beta from this season?

Thanks,

George

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008   #2

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
bump
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #3

The fences in the canyon would be between the SF and CO-17. I'd be more concerned with several low bridges below CO-17 with the current high water.

If you putin at the campground below Platoro and takeout at the SF trailhead below the Pinnacles there shouldn't be any fences and only one bridge. The water isn't as high up there because it's mostly coming from the reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
All of the descriptions on the Conejos I have read mention possible issues with barbed wire fences. We are considering it as a possibility for this weekend, but are a bit gunshy of possible fences.

Anybody have beta from this season?

Thanks,

George
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008   #4

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
Conejos below highway 17 bridge

Ran this section last Thursday with my wife in kayaks, all the way from the bridge down to where 17 runs next to the river below Fox Creek. No fences but a few big strainers to dodge and one bridge we had to limbo under (flow was 1600ish, I think). Beautiful scenery and nobody else on the river.

Mostly continuous and sometimes fast II rapids with a few III's. Only one tricky spot, just above Aspen Glen campground. Fast section with a 90 left turn into a big strainer followed by a narrow, rocky confined & pushy spot below. This is worth scouting before you run, just so you know where it is, an easy high a hundred yards or so upstream from the campground.

Looking forward to doing some of the runs further up the canyon later this summer, let me know if you need someone to paddle with. Trying to put together a map of fences, so if you know of any, let me know.

Chris
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #5

I'm considering running the conejos on Sunday, on the way back from the San Juan (pagosa) Saturday. I'm trying to convince the rest of the crew to do this as well....but there's also talk of going to Durango for River Days.

This would be my/our first time down this river, and while I think we can manage, it would be good to go with people who know the river.

Any takers?
kwgossett is offline   Reply With Quote