Anybody want to drive to mexico to kayak (12/19-01/04) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-14-2008   #1

Student/Engineer
Anybody want to drive to mexico to kayak (12/19-01/04)

well ...I have 2 weeks off starting the 19th and I don't really want to drive to the NW to go boating. Need someplace warm. Don't know much about paddling in mexico though ....
was wondering if anyone who knows mexico want's to go down there with me to go play in class 3-4 stuff.

Thanks.

-Assad

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Crossin' tha border

We'll be crossing at Matamoras and driving to Valles on December 27th. It may be nice to have a bit of a caravan going through the border zone. Let me know if you are interested. We'll be camping on the South Padre beach the night before.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
We'll be crossing at Matamoras and driving to Valles on December 27th. It may be nice to have a bit of a caravan going through the border zone. Let me know if you are interested. We'll be camping on the South Padre beach the night before.
I think they arrested all of the members of the cannibalistic cult that was snatching people around Brownsville/Matamoros in the late 80's so you guys should be good to go. Camping on the Texas side is a good idea. If not, make sure someone stays awake
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008   #4
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Can you camp on the beach on South Padre? I've camped at the National Seashore, which is on the North island and accessed through Corpus Christi and not Brownsville.

The border zone is no big deal if you cross in the AM and drive right through. Expect to spend 1-2 hours at the border getting your papers in order.

On the way back through Matamoros when the signs run out and you don't know where to go to get to the border crossing back to the US, it's a right turn that you need to make.

Water is higher than usual down there this year after the wettest rainy season in 20 years. Have fun!

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Just a suggestion to save you an hour or two: Cross at the new Pharr International Bridge just east of McAllen - It's WAY faster and easier than any other border crossing. Here's a site which shows average wait times: http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

The downside is that it's not a 24 hour crossing (6am to midnight), but that's not a problem for me. I have always gotten up way early and waited in line to be one of the first to cross at 6am; for two reasons- it's less busy, and a lot safer because the Mexican side of the border is pretty dead at 6am. By the time the banditos are up and about at 8am, you're almost to Cuidad Victoria. Renyosa is a lot more chill that Matamoros anyway. Use this crossing, and you're out of the border town in under 15 minutes.

Once you're across & done with your paperwork, get on Hwy 2 (near the Renyosa airport) and head a mile or two west towards Renyosa. You have to go underneath an overpass and U-turn back south, and be eyes-up on the signs to MX 97. Have someone in the car looking back the other direction becuse the signs for it as you're heading west are few. It's before you get to Renyosa - look for a little pueblo of La Escondida, or a sign that points to San Fernando (MX 97). After that- it's super-smooth sailing. That road gets to be very desolate in a hurry- watch for the interior checkpoint in about 20km. But it's a fast road that meets up with MX 180 in about an hour. WAY faster than Matamoros, Laredo, or especially El Paso. Those are some nasty crossings.

Get yourself a Guia Roji too.

BTW- I camped at S Padre park a couple of times- it's windy as hell and likely cold, and you have to drive about 20 minutes from the border crossing to get to where you can camp. I used that crossing the first two times I went, but I've used Pharr the last 4 times. Brownsville just adds to the trip, IMO.

Skip S. Padre and hit La Pesca on the way home instead. It's a decent jetty break that usually has surf-able waves on a kayak, and it'll be 10 degrees warmer because it's 3 hours south. I would not recommend the raw oyster cocktail at the restaurant on the beach, BTW.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking