anybody know about paddling Nicaragua? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-10-2010  

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
anybody know about paddling Nicaragua?

I'm gonna be in Nicaragua this June.
Anybody know about the whitewater there?
Outfitters?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010  

I have not heard of any boating there but I did go surfing there and it kicked ass. Popoya was an awesome place, middle of nowhere, $5 rooms and uncrowded, high quality waves. There is a town called San Juan Del Sur that is OK but not very chill place. Good surf 30 minuted form there at Playa Madera. I would be stoked to hear about some kayaking. I have looked at Google Earth and it does not look very mountainous but who knows. If anybody is planning a Costa surf vacation I would cancel and head to Nicaragua instead, half the price, 1/4 the people. ALso Costa seems like a lot more shore pound, Nicaragua was more nice point break style. The place is awesome altogether, it would be even more awesome if you found some WW there.

Also: If you are thinking of staying in Managua, stay at Lago De Managua instead, it is a little paradise less than an hour form the city.
Old 01-18-2010  

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Go with someone who has traveled and knows some Spanish. I've spent some time there and you don't want to end up in a situation. While Costa Rica is a bit on the touristy side, that's to your advantage. Nicos are very poor and don't yet know the advantage of treating tourists with kid gloves. Just watch yourself... and no, there isn't any boating inland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchkiss View Post
Go with someone who has traveled and knows some Spanish. I've spent some time there and you don't want to end up in a situation. While Costa Rica is a bit on the touristy side, that's to your advantage. Nicos are very poor and don't yet know the advantage of treating tourists with kid gloves. Just watch yourself... and no, there isn't any boating inland.
After the month I spent driving around Nicaragua, I found Nicas to be very nice to me as a traveler aside from the touristy area near San Juan del Sur. I wouldn't worry overmuch about traveling around Nicaragua.
Old 01-18-2010  

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg200 View Post
After the month I spent driving around Nicaragua, I found Nicas to be very nice to me as a traveler aside from the touristy area near San Juan del Sur. I wouldn't worry overmuch about traveling around Nicaragua.
I agree, in Costa I have had to chase down a guy who grabbed one of our bags, they worked as a team, distracted us and grabbed a bag, I ran full speed through the bus station, caught up to the guy and slammed that little bitch into the ground. In Nicaragua, no such trouble, although I have heard stories about San Juan del Sur, probably because its touristy and so close to Costa.
Old 01-18-2010  

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Went through Nicaragua two years ago in an attempt to find boating, and didn't find anything, i think there is maybe a company that does class I-II floats on one of the rivers near San Juan del Sur. But we mostly enjoyed the surf while there. Honduras has a good amount of boating though, and Costa Rica sucks, except the Patria river. La Ceba Hondurus is kind of a boating hub, there is a sweet hostel/raft company owned by a German dude that will give you beta, you kinda have to pry it out of him though. If you hang out for a while he'll warm up and spill the beans abou the runs, he even gave us First D beta after we had been psyched on the standard stuff.
Old 01-18-2010  

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
I second that on Costa Rica and the shitty people there! Arrg, it makes me mad, the locals are dishonest pieces of shit! The try and charge you way too much for stuff just because you white, and try and steal your shit!
Old 01-19-2010  

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Just like being careful in foreign countries, be careful what you believe in this forum. These guys are suggesting you throw caution to the wind in the country with the second highest murder rate in Latin America and going boating in another country that's in a civil war!

I've lived in Costa Rica for 3 of the last 10 years. I've never boated nor heard of the Patria River, I know for certain it's not in the top 10 rivers in that country, and I don't buy the idea of Ticos being, "dishonest pieces of shit."

They don't "charge way too much," they bargain and you pay too much and it's not because you're white, it's because you grew up in a country where everything has a labeled price tag so you're not adept at making deals.

Costa Rica is the first country in the world to have constitutionally abolished their army. That should give you a good idea of how they feel about living peacefully.
Old 01-19-2010  

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Hysterical much hotchkiss? It is a really big stretch to say that Honduras is in a civil war. I'm also unaware of any tourists being murdered in Nicaragua. It is stupid to throw caution to the wind in any third world country, but Nicaragua really isn't any more dangerous for a traveler than any other place in Latin America.

I found Ticos to be pretty nice people, but I was just totally offput by the emphasis on selling their country to foreigners. The boating looks good though.