Anybody done Salida in late August? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2007   #1

Dodge City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 1972
Anybody done Salida in late August?

We did Stone Bridge to Rincon on July 21 at about 1000 CFS in 3 open canoes with airbags and had a great time. We are planning to go back on Aug 25.

With much less water expected what kind of a ride can I expect?

Do you think we should consider another section instead?

mikeweber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
i would say it will be around 350cfs unless it rains a huge amount. I would choose another section if it were me.
Old 08-03-2007   #3

When I did it, we were close to dragging in a number of places at 1250. My guess is that you will be dragging almost the entire way anywhere under 600.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007   #4

Dodge City, Kansas
Where?

Where would you recomend? We are from Dodge City Ks.
Old 08-03-2007   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
what r u looking for cause browns is ok at that level if you put in at ruby mtn.
Old 08-04-2007   #6

Dodge City, Kansas
16 miles or so 2s and 3s

Thanks for answering. I need som advice from people who know the river.

I'm looking to do something similar to what Stone Bridge to Rincon was like on July 21 at about 900 or so. We are doing it in 3 open canoes with airbags. We did good everywhere except Bear Creek Rapid. There we had our least experienced guys take a swim and we had to fish them out. One book I have shows it as a class IV at 900. Do you think it is a III or a IV?

Basically we want a good time and don't want to have to do much dragging bottom, but we probably can't handle much more than what Bear Creek is at 900.

My book shows Ruby to Stone at about 11 miles with several IVs at low water. I would love to try it. Do you think 2 guys in a 15 or 17' canoe with full airbags and good experience could do it at 350cfs or so?

My book doesn't really rate the rapids that low. Would Browns even have any IVs at 350?
Old 08-04-2007   #7

Brown's doesn't have any IV's (except maybe Seidel's at certain levels) and neither does Stone Bridge to Rincon. Brown's is mostly III with a couple III+'s but gets technical under 500. SB to Rincon is III- with a couple III's.
Brown's would be a step up from SB to Rinc but would might be doable for you guys with a guide. If it's running, you might want to look at the Lower Blue. Also, the Colorado from Shoshone down to Two Rivers Park or South Canyon would be good (put-in above Shoshone if you're feeling good or below if you want mellower). This will definitely be running. You could also do the Upper Colorado from Pumphouse to Rancho, Statebridge, Bond, or any other take-out (this has decent camping, a hotsprings, cliff-jumping, and some solid III's in mostly II-III scenic setting).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #8

Dodge City, Kansas
Stone to Rincone @350?

Whate would Stone to Rincon be like @ 350 compared to 900?
Old 08-05-2007   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
hecla to big bend

not sure if this applies, but i did hecla to big bend yesterday without touching a single rock, super fun and no problem rapids. there are some shallow shoals but there is a main current through all of them and I had no problem.

also did kobe to granite and had a blast, saw a damn moose in the arkansas river as well as like fifty deer and like ten elk
Old 08-05-2007   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
yeti, the difference will be that he is looking for a trip after the water drops.

Tags
august