Anybody able to ducky grand canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-17-2010   #1

Collinsville, Oklahoma
Anybody able to ducky grand canyon?

Looking for a partner to IK the grand canyon with me in may 2011.
This is a private trip, not commercial.
I have been unsuccessful finding such a ducky boater around home.
Am I nuts to think this is doable? I do have raft support.

BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Looking for a partner to IK the grand canyon with me in may 2011.
This is a private trip, not commercial.
I have been unsuccessful finding such a ducky boater around home.
Am I nuts to think this is doable? I do have raft support.
We had someone ducky our GC trip at about 20 to 24K too.

She swam a few times, but never got trashed, trashed. Not sure she even needed help to get her stuff back together.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
totally doable

It's been done by many, including myself, with varying degrees of success. I loved it. Did it on 3 trips, swam once in a while-but no big deal in most rapids. Not a good idea to flip above the rock island at crystal. Lava is fun. I've made it 2 out of 3 times. My brother 7 for 7. Heres a picture of me backasswards in the V-wave at Lava in 1996. Good brace is a must.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n710759070_1347283_1743.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2496  
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Never heard of a tandem ducky running it,probably has been.Has been run in a Sevylor Tahiti,the cheapest non-bailing ducky.A guy I know did it one man in a 2 man Lynx.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Never heard of a tandem ducky running it,probably has been.Has been run in a Sevylor Tahiti,the cheapest non-bailing ducky.A guy I know did it one man in a 2 man Lynx.
dude, this sounds right up your alley..... you should be all over this. If you go, I'll bring my raft too if he'll put me on.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #6

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieboater View Post
It's been done by many, including myself, with varying degrees of success. I loved it. Did it on 3 trips, swam once in a while-but no big deal in most rapids. Not a good idea to flip above the rock island at crystal. Lava is fun. I've made it 2 out of 3 times. My brother 7 for 7. Heres a picture of me backasswards in the V-wave at Lava in 1996. Good brace is a must.
And a killer crawl-stroke, too, eh Rog? "F*#% the boat, I'm swimmin' left."

Quote:
Best air- flying off the 5th wave in Hermit in my Sevylor Torpedo, nothing but air under the boat, rattling my friggin' gums on landing. Then turning around to watch the next 15 Torpedos do the same thing. Wheeeee!!!
Old 04-18-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
yeah they used to use a picture of a Torpedo catching some good air off the wave I assume you are talking about in their[ Orange Torpedos and Sevylor] marketing.I am pretty sure those Torpedos were orange Tahitis with the plastic disc punched out to make one inefficient bailing hole,at least originally,they might have upgraded.What river is that the Rogue?

Bob,I am not clear if he is looking for a partner in a two man or just another ducky.If I was invited for 5/2011 i'd certainly consider it!Never two manned before...would like to try it but not be committed for 280 miles.If I had the time off to run GC i'd probably go somewhere I want to travel and do multiple rivers and other sight seeing.I know that's blasphemy,for many the Grand is THE Ultimate.I wish there was a shorter version that gave you a good taste of the rapids and scale of the geology,say 5-7 days.Still it would be hard to turn down an offer to do it.
Old 04-18-2010   #8

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
yeah they used to use a picture of a Torpedo catching some good air off the wave I assume you are talking about in their[ Orange Torpedos and Sevylor] marketing.I am pretty sure those Torpedos were orange Tahitis with the plastic disc punched out to make one inefficient bailing hole,at least originally,they might have upgraded.What river is that the Rogue?
haha... We're in the presence of "greatness"...
that pic that sevylor ran in Paddler mag a while back is of none other than "willieboater" who posted above, in Big Mallard on the Main Salmon. He and I used to lead big groups of the orange tahitis (yes, called Orange Torpedos, and with an actual semi-self-bailing design, better than just a hole at the back). We ran the Main/Lower Salmon, the Rogue, the Umpqua, the Klamath, and one trip a year on the GC for a few of the more senior guides. Those friggin pool toys held up to some grueling treatment, albeit with some minor, sometimes major, patching in the field. Way too fun to be called "guiding."

But I digress. That IK mission of the original poster, especially with raft support is something i'd jump on in a second, if I weren't gonna be in school for 2 years straight.
Old 04-18-2010   #9

Collinsville, Oklahoma
To clarify, I am looking for someone with their own ducky, I have a solo lynx.
But this trip is the entire length of the canyon, lees to pearce ferrys. 19 days.
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
You 'll be fine.It would be nice to have another person in same kind of boat but you have rafters and probably kayakers anyway.Have fun.