Any recommendations for gear for a newbie? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Any recommendations for gear for a newbie?

Starting out with lessons soon but I don't own any gear.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on kayak brands or types. I was thinking of buying used as there are a lot of options in the Denver area.

I also have a paddle I used on my bigger Wilderness Systems kayak, but would I need a new paddle for whitewater? If so any suggestions on what I should get?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Are the kayaks provided during the lessons? If so, just wait and see what you like. But, on a general note, get a boat that's comfortable in the style you want. Your weight/inseam will be a major factor in getting the right size of boat. Most people will demo a few boats before picking one that fits their person and paddling style. As far as paddles go, you can run the gamut from entry level $140 range to a some nice, you-have-to-skip-a-house-payment range. In general they are sized from 190-200cm (bigger or smaller if you're really big or small) and have an offset angle. If your paddle fits that (and it's probably too long) then you'll need a shorter one. Whitewater paddling makes use of high angle paddle strokes more than low angle sweeps because there's no keel/skeg to counter the sweep action used in a longer (230/240) paddle.
Old 07-09-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
The place I'm getting lessons does provide all the gear I'll need. But I guess I'm somewhat planning ahead.

I know there are different styles of boats (Playboats, river running, etc) but when I pick a style I'd like, I'd like to know what brands I should be looking at. I'm somewhat clueless on this and I want to make sure whatever I get is a quality boat. (If such a thing exists)

Renting over and over will become costly, I figured investing in a half decent used boat might be a better option seeing as I'll want to get out after my lessons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012   #4

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I recommend getting used gear to start out with at least your first set of gear anyway. You are going to beat the crap out of it. Check the swap section.

Whitewater kayak companies are a pretty small group. There are a bunch of name brands: Jackson, LiquidLogic, Wavesport, Dagger, Fluid, Pyranha.

Check out: Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory

that should help, they have good reviews on all stuff ww related

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinRio View Post
I recommend getting used gear to start out with at least your first set of gear anyway. You are going to beat the crap out of it. Check the swap section.

Whitewater kayak companies are a pretty small group. There are a bunch of name brands: Jackson, LiquidLogic, Wavesport, Dagger, Fluid, Pyranha.

Check out: Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory

that should help, they have good reviews on all stuff ww related
Awesome thanks dude. Yeah I've seen a ton of stuff on Craigslist and now I'm trying to decide what's the walmart brand and what's a more quality brand.
Old 07-09-2012   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd suggest going to the first lesson and paddle a few different boats. If it's like any lessons I know they'll have a range of boats. From there you can start to learn brands and decide if you like freestyle v. river v. creek. Then you can start to hone in a search. Otherwise, I can say that Boat X in a 42 gallon version is awesome and unless there's that exact one that's for sale, in your price range, and it fits then, well, the advice is worthless. (Boat Y in 80 gal is my preference).
Old 07-09-2012   #7

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
Generally for a fist kayak I would steer you to a river runner/creeker style. Really do try a couple of different ones because everyone is different. Everyone has preferences in brands however any of the big brands will be OK for a first boat (IE Jackson, Pyrahana, Wavesport, Liquid Logic, Dagger). In my area there are several kayak shops that will let you demo a boat for free. Demo a couple before you buy because you will most likely have the boat for years.

As far as paddles go I would guess that your current one will not work. You might check out the classifieds and see if there are any combos there. Paddle, Skirt, and Kayak at a good price
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
As far as a Style I was thinking something along the lines of "Free running" I want to be able to surf the waves, but I'd also like to go down some rivers as well. Whichever style is in the middle if that makes sense.

I also feel bad going to a shop to demo boats if I plan on buying something used on the internet. But maybe that's just me. :/