Any other Cats in Gore race? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2008   #1

Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Any other Cats in Gore race?

Silent Jay and Dan Rauer were thinking of running the race, but I haven't heard of any third one. If they're going by the old rules then it takes three to make a category (remember the kickass tubers?? holy s&*t, they had three). It would be cool to see a bunch of cats clean gore!

If the Idaho boaters can do what they do on their gnargnar sections with style I'm hoping to see some good boatin' from our own crowd in our backyard.

Much love, and see you up there on Sat early to practice up a bit more.

raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Oar rigs?

That's all it takes to make a division?? Could it be "oar rig division" or would they all need to be the same craft?? I row a 14' raft and have been wanting to row it for years....and that might provide the right motivation. That would be friggen schaweet!! I have a buddy that's a cat captain and I know he's been wanting to row it too.....
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It used to be that three makes a category, not sure anymore. Might want to ask Timberline.

I am curious about making the move in Gore rapid in a oar rig. In my paddle raft I do an upstream ferry, but it is really tight and i have a hard time imagining the oar strokes fitting in the slot. How is it done to avoid ginger?

I am also curious about tunnel falls. How do you stay in the boat/on your seat going over the falls? When I've tried to 'just dig the oars in' on rapids that size i usually get thrown forward.

I realize in a Creature Craft you are strapped in so this isn't an issue, and you can surf ginger, I am wondering for a trad raft/cat how it works.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008   #4

Tunnel, Gore

Tunnel: Mark Kramer does a good run at Big Falls, and I imagine your body movements to be similar in nature. Hooking the feet, leaning back as you drop in, then ready to dive forward if it kicks up hard in the front.

How far left to right you would position the boat that depends on the rock that keeps moving and fu&(ing up the left side of Tunnel.

Toilet: Could be similar move. LOTS OF MOMENTUM!

Gore: That rapid has one eddy riverleft just above it. The logjam there is gone and it is usable again. I have used it a couple times to catch myself when messing up the line. From there you can reset your ferry angle and drop in nicely, but you are then lacking the speed and will most likely be surfing Ginger. Running gore clean up top on the left with momentum and changing the angle in order to keep speed and making the diagonal move has a tendency to shoot me through ginger to riverright. There is also the complication of being late at the top or early for running that slot. When I'm late the boat boofs on the left and I highside left, then right again in ginger, and when late highside right. Have had easier runs through ginger being early on the drop and even avoiding ginger as you begin to miss it the more upriver you drop in.

Jay is thinking about running with a thighstrap from our gear stash. That's a 4" velcro strap that can be ripped open quickly. So he's planning on using that and pulling it if he knows it's over.

Like a lapbelt in four wheeling, have used loopstraps a couple times on conventional/cat/creature boasts on the frame to emulate a thighstrap, or seatbelt, so to speak. Not *really* recommending this, but here it goes: Did set the loopstraps up in distance such that the overlap length through the buckle is only a couple of inches. That way i cinch in as tight as needed and hit the cam of the buckle in order to release. My weight and or/the movement immediately runs the couple inches of fabric through the buckle and the swim begins.

Jay is nervous, understandably. (He's known to some as Captain Loco from the front range, that dude with the hockey sticks and the flags... you know.. silent jay, emphasis on silent )
Old 08-08-2008   #5

Oar raft division

It would make sense if enough conventional oar boats show to warrant enough for their own category, as rX runs are different from oar runs. That would be a great set of boats to see run. It could also be the most difficult style of boating to make it through there, but that is merely a conjecture.

It's Lisa Reeder's call from Timberline on the format based on entries. If enough oar rigs showed up that would be sweet indeed! Cannot remember any time the last eight years a raft was oared, but do remember less than a handful of cat boats.
Old 08-08-2008   #6

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
So......who can I ask about an "oar rig" division. Cause I might be all over it. I've kayaked it a bunch of times, and yeah, there will be some TIGHT moves with oars. But I've been wanting to give'er for quite some time. GORE.....stern river right through the top drop (probably dropping stern first, just past 90), the drop will throw the boat at a 90 above Ginger...couple hard pulls...straighten er out...maybe a high side...jammin through the rest. Ginger might be saucy. Tunnel? would be a good hit but with the right angle at the lip the worse that will happen will be me spending some time in the bow. Okay, okay....I know I could get totally tossed....but I think with the right set-up angle she'll be good to go.

I haven't rowed it....am I off with this??? When I've kayaked it, I've always looked at the "oar lines" as well. That's what seemed to always stand out as the "best" oar line. Chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by raft3plus View Post
Silent Jay and Dan Rauer were thinking of running the race, but I haven't heard of any third one. If they're going by the old rules then it takes three to make a category (remember the kickass tubers?? holy s&*t, they had three). It would be cool to see a bunch of cats clean gore!

If the Idaho boaters can do what they do on their gnargnar sections with style I'm hoping to see some good boatin' from our own crowd in our backyard.

Much love, and see you up there on Sat early to practice up a bit more.
Dirkdirkastan,

I don't think I'll be getting on Gore this race...that is a serious step up from what I'm running so far. I know I have the skills to put my cat anywhere I want it..but to a certain degree. I have only hiked up to Kirsh and have never seen any of the other rapids. To me Kirsh looked big, long scary and cold. What I've seen from videos and photos is that it all looks really tight for an oar rig....especially Gore!

Not sure I can keep momentum to push through the big drops.

Don't really think that Gore is the place for me right now.

Dan
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote