Any ideas for a homemade or converted drybox??? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-18-2007   #1

Any ideas for a homemade or converted drybox???

Dry boxes are expensive.

I have one but need at least one more. Any ideas for something that can serve as a drybox? Has anyone made one or converted something else into a dry box successfully??

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmiller View Post
Dry boxes are expensive.

I have one but need at least one more. Any ideas for something that can serve as a drybox? Has anyone made one or converted something else into a dry box successfully??
How about a simple ammo can?
Old 04-18-2007   #3

I should have been clearer. I need something much bigger that could be used as a kitchen box or to haul other gear such as lanters, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007   #4

Check a few Army surplus stores...

My brother found some watertight aluminum Army medical supply cases that were about 30x20x15 for around $40 that he uses as dry boxes. They've got alot of latches and can be a pain to get in and out of on the river but the price is right...
crestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #5

on your sister, ...
while it's not 100% waterproof by any means, a cooler can be a cheap way to store stuff like kitchen wares and other things that need extra protection but it's not the end of the world in they get a bit wet. Put a lantern in a small dry bag in the cooler,ect...

take it for what it's worth. may help or be useless advice.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #6
Lurker

Durango, Colorado
How do the Ammo cans hold up in a river enviroment? Are they leaky?
clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #7

I'll have to look for the army medical supple boxes. They sound about right for what I need them for. I have tried regular old plastic tubes for dishes but the lids are generally are broken into pieces by the end of the trip.

As for ammo cans and rocket boxes, I have used them for general river junk and have never had one leak. There are lots of them available with the whole Iraq debacle.
Old 04-18-2007   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I have used the black plastic Walmart boxes (black body, gery lids with red latches) for multiple Salmon, Middle Rofk and Hells canyon trips.....with a little foam tape seal along the sunken gasket they are almost watertight. They are used as the rear seat in my Cataraft. 2 peopel can sit on them without warping (over years now).

They look lie the Tuff Boxes...but don't have metal latches and are made of slighlty more flexible plastic.

Come all kinds of sizes...i have one for personal gear and then one as big as my Kitchen Dry box...and almost as good for only $40 - $50...they are perfect.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #9

Smith and Edwards (Holy Cow, What a Superstore!) is just about the best store in the world (except maybe CKS). It's in Ogden, Utah, I think. I've also heard there's another one somewhere but I have no recollection of where. They are the end all of Army Surplus Stores. Picture a place the size of Costco but filled with any guy's dream combination of useful camping and outdoor gear like tents, boats, and dryboxes and bizarre paraphernalia like M16 shells, machete's and tanks. They have everything ever made and many things that have not yet been conceived. If you want it, they will have it and probably at a great price, too. Definately check it out (and allow yourself a couple hours to wander, too).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I started with a plastic cooler and foam weatherstripping, strapped. Works and it's cheap.

Rigid military surplus boxes are good (if they're cheap). Aluminum's nicer than steel. Always check the gaskets and re-do if they're flaky.

Steel ammo cans are so heavy that I tried plastic ammo boxes (Cabela's, K-Mart) and found that even with the better gasket material, they can leak in a flip. In general, any container that's even slightly flexible will suck some water, going upside down through a hole. Ammo cans don't.

I love York Packs best, but had one leak after a serious Maytag session. So even inside a drybox, I tend to pack stuff that must stay absolutely dry in ziplocs or those clear plastic peanut jars with square corners.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote