Any good class II/teaching runs flowing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2008   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to danglauser
Any good class II/teaching runs flowing?

Howdie folks,

Can anyone suggest a good class IIish run that is flowing in Colorado where I can teach a class? I'd like to keep my ACA teaching cert and I have four newbies that would like to learn.

I'm located in Littleton, just outside of Denver.

Thanks,

--
Dan G.

danglauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Pumphouse is about 1400 right now....
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #3

You've also got Deckers on S South Platte and Grizzly Creek below Shoshone on the Colorado.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys, much appreciated. The Pumphouse looks a little long for first timers but doable, the Brighton City Park to Fort Lupton (is that what you are calling Deckers?) looks pretty good as well. What about any lakes that are boater friendly near either of these runs? When I teach I like to do a bit of flatwater work, even warm up with a couple hours of flatwater.

Thanks for your help, I just moved to town and haven't paddled much in Colorado in years.
Old 09-18-2008   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Deckers is on the South Fork of the North Platte:

Chutes

A lot of people refer to it as the Chutes as well. Its west of town up hwy 285, bout an hour 'ish away from most locales. Its a great teaching section but at 205 could be a tad boney. I like 300+ so there are not as many exposed rocks.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #6

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Ft Lupton is 10ish miles of class I with a portage. Did it once just to paddle and stopped counting tires in the river at 100.. Won't do that one again
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #7

If you're looking at the Upper C, you should do Rancho to Statebridge instead of Pumphouse to Rancho. It's II/II+ with a couple III-ish rapids. About 3 miles long, easily lappable, has surfing, eddies, some flatwater but nothing like Pumphouse. Pretty much everything you could want for a beginner section.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I agree with Count. Plus, that section is quite scenic as well.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #9

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I also agree with Count, Rancho to Statebridge was my very first run. Also keep in mind it is illegal to take a paying class down the Chutes, the county or whoever runs that area does not allow permits and will bust you if it's obvious you are teaching.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Rancho to Statebridge is exactly what I'm looking for

Thanks Count and others, Rancho to Statebridge is just what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations on gear rentals? I have all the boats. What I need is three farmer john wetsuits, three paddling tops, two paddles, one helmet, two life jackets and a couple pairs of booties (if possible). Any suggestions on where to rent this stuff?

I'll be teaching an ACA sanctioned class but won't be charging the students directly (they will only pay the ACA, I'm doing the class for free to help keep my instructor cert current and to hook up some friends and co-workers) so I don't think I would have a problem on the Chutes section, although I don't know the official rules. In any event I'm leaning toward the Rancho to Statebridge section.

Are there any lakes or reserviors nearby that allow paddling? I like to start off each day with an hour or two of flatwater work.

What about camping in the area? We will probably stay out Saturday night but may stay out Friday night as well.

Thanks for all the replies! The advice is definitely appreciated.

Daniel

Tags
class ii