any crazy 88 owners out there - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2008   #1

ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
any crazy 88 owners out there

im looking at buying a new crazy 88 6.2 new any comments -one wa-y or the other from current or past owners/users a little info on me for help i am about 5 ft 6 in and roughly 130 lbs so i am a small paddler but dont let the size fool you i am strong for my size and working on getting stronger specificly to play in a play boat also what you would recomend as a top purchase price if you were in the market would help lets just say for now my price is far lower than anything i have seen online and the boat is new never seen water we just dont have much whitewater here so they sell hard and its been at the shop for about 3 years i also know they are no longer in production im not concerned with that
thank you in advance helix [email protected]

helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008   #2

Starting boating with open canoeists if you buy. You'll have to stop to empty your boat almost as often as they do.
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3

It's better than the Kingpin.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008   #4

ann arbor, Michigan
re to crazy 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiflipped View Post
Starting boating with open canoeists if you buy. You'll have to stop to empty your boat almost as often as they do.
thanks for the response first off and why do you say that are they prone to leakage around spray skirt? it will be my first play boat and i am looking at doing some white water runs in it as well if the boat can handle it
[email protected]
Old 07-30-2008   #5

ann arbor, Michigan
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
It's better than the Kingpin.
count thanks for the response you say better than the kingpin any particular reason why as i said it will be my first play boat and im anxiouse to play would you recomend it i will tell you if bought i will only be paying about 550 for it new with all pads and thruster plate
Old 07-30-2008   #6

The Kingpin and Crazy 88 are both great boats. The Kingpin is renowned as possibly the leakiest boat ever made. The Crazy 88 leaks but not as much as the Kingpin. Going through and Aquasealing every screw in the boat will make a HUGE difference. Some people have said they had issues with their skirt not being able to get a good seal due to cockpit shape but I personally did not notice the issue. While I do not own either boat, I have paddled both a number of times. They are both great playboats for surfing, cartwheeling, aerials, flatwater, etc. (though I liked the 88 better). I also liked the 88 better for river-running (though you may spend some time in the stern-squirt position).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #7

ann arbor, Michigan
thank you very much for the information it was almost exactly what i was hoping to hear i dont think sealing the screws would be too much trouble and if i must stop to drin once in awhile i can deal with that im sure i will wear my self out before i need to drain on most occasions anyway unless i hear some horror stories or someone else buys the boat before i get the cash together im going to get it so i can start playing and geting comphortable with the boat before i move thanks again
Old 07-30-2008   #8

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Count smokes crack so don't listen to him.
The Kingpin is a far superior boat to the 88. ask yourself this, if the 88 was better than the kingpin,why did it only last one year of production and the kingpin is still being made. The Kingpin is also waaaaaaaay more of an agile riverrunner than the 88. I have paddled both and I stick with the kingpin (my first "playboat")

Every dagger leaks so that is mute. You can probably find a used kingpin for cheaper than 550 and in really good shape too. they are only 700 or 800 new
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #9

ann arbor, Michigan
yourreal thanks for the imput if i remember correctly i looked at the kingpin and my biggest problem was my weight im only about 125 130 so as far as playing i believe it has to much volume for me to punch effectivly on flat water during play
Old 07-30-2008   #10

ann arbor, Michigan
your real i looked at the kingpin online again and if i can find a 6.1 it would prolly work but there arent many kayak shops in this area and shipping is rediculos but i will keep it in mind while geting up the cash thanks again